Help finding out Whats in this?

• Thread starter l3oogie
  • Start date
In summary, this person is selling a non-toxic and biodegradable cleaner. They don't know what is in it, but they were told that there is Butyl Cellosolve, sodium sulfonate, and sodium gluconate. They also were told that the sulfonate and gluconate is added to make bubbles to lift up stains in carpet. The product is sold in a 1 part to 1,000,000 part water.
l3oogie
Ok so I am trying to duplicate a Non-Toxic and biodegradable cleaner i use to sell door to door... I really don't know if I am posting in the right website or forum. I have the msds sheet and this is what it mainly reads about what's in it... I am clueless about it. What I am trying to figure out is what's in it and how much. I know its mainly made of water... I don't know how much of the msds sheet you guys need to figure it out... if you need more let me know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECTION 2. CHEMICAL COMPONENTS / HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS

CHEMICAL IDENTITY CAS # ACGIH-TLV OSHA-PEL

Butyl Cellosolve 111-76-2 25 ppm 50 ppm

This product is classified as non hazardous in accordance with the hazard communication standard 29 CER 1910.1200
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAZARD RATINGS
Health = 1
Flammability = 0
Reactivity = 0
Personal Protection = A
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------SECTION 3. PHYSICAL DATA
BOILING POINT: 212F
VAPOR PRESSURE: NA
SPECIFIC GRAVITY: 1.03
SOLUBILITY IN WATER: 100%
APPEARANCE & ODOR: Clear liquid, characteristic color
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------SECTION 4. FIRE AND EXPLOSION DATA
FLASH POINT: Non combustible
EXTINGUISHING MEDIA: Water spray, foam, or dry chemical.
SPECIAL FIRE FIGHTING PROCEDURES: Extreme heat or flames may produce
noxious or toxic fumes, fire fighters should use a self contained breathing apparatus if
this product is being consumed with fire.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECTION 5. REACTIVITY DATA
STABILITY: Stable
CONDITIONS TO AVOID: None known.
INCOMPATIBILITY-MATERIALS TO AVOID: Strong oxidizers.
HAZARDOUS DECOMPOSITION: Oxides of carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus,
unidentified organic compounds.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the threads that i read on the site before posting a lot of you guys seem like really inteligent people... needless to say I am not that smart when it comes to this stuff. I know it reads that there is Butyl Cellosolve in it... but when i sold the product i was told that there was Butyl Cellosolve, sodium sulfonate, and sodium gluconate... i was told that the Sulfonate and gluconate was added to make bubbles to lift up stains in carpet... I was also told that the Butyl Cellosolve was 1 part out of 1,000,000 ... which equals i eye drop to a gallon jug of water.. Can anyone confirm that by the msds sheet? Anyway if anyone can help me i would really appreciate it. Thanks to all that try and figure it out.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Is this some sort of window cleanser?

Regardless the data you've posted will not help you formulate any type of cleanser. A material safety data sheet may tell you th chemical components of a substance and how much there is in the substance but it doesn't tell you how to mix it when to mix it etc. The purpose of MSDS is to provide safety information to people working with or around these substances.

Butyl Cellosolve is glycol ether and it is toxic so I would not suggest using it on your own without any training in the use of these types of chemicals. It can be very dangerous playing with chemicals found in household cleaners.

Actually no its a all purpose cleaner... I am not going to mix anything i already have a chemical company that will do that for me. they tested the product and told me that there was 1 part butyl cellosolve and 1,000,000 part water.. i was wondering if that's what's inside of it why don't they list sodium gluconate or sodium sulfonate in the msds sheet? I have the chemical company near me making alternate cleaners that are clear and non toxic... They said it would be 2 much for them to buy the gluconate and sulfonate and make it... they tell me its mainly water, but to much to make... makes me feel like they are wanting me to buy one of their pre-made formulas so i have to pay more... i looked online and found butyl cellosolve for like 20.00 a gallon... sulfonate also 20.00$... and can't find the gluconate. Anyway If anyone has any good ideas for forumula on a non-toxic clear cleaner with no smell... It would kinda help with other ideas to throw at this company. Just not trying to spend a arm and leg for a drum of any kinda cleaner.

1. What is the process for identifying the contents of something?

The process for identifying the contents of something typically involves conducting tests and experiments to analyze its physical and chemical properties. This can include using various scientific equipment and techniques, such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and chromatography. It may also involve comparing the sample to known substances or conducting research to gather more information.

2. Can you use DNA analysis to determine what's in something?

Yes, DNA analysis can be used to identify the contents of something, as DNA is unique to each organism and can provide information about the presence of specific organisms or substances. This technique is often used in food testing, crime scene investigation, and environmental analysis.

3. How can I tell if something is toxic or hazardous?

To determine if something is toxic or hazardous, you can look for warning labels or refer to safety data sheets (SDS) provided by the manufacturer. Additionally, you can conduct tests to analyze the chemical composition of the substance and compare it to known toxins or hazardous materials.

4. Is there a database I can use to identify unknown substances?

Yes, there are several databases that can be used to identify unknown substances, such as the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Mass Spectral Library and the Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry. These databases contain information on the physical and chemical properties of various substances, making it easier to identify unknown samples.

5. How can I find out what's in a mixture or solution?

The best way to find out what's in a mixture or solution is to use analytical techniques, such as spectroscopy or chromatography, to separate and analyze the individual components. This will allow you to identify and quantify the different substances present in the mixture or solution.