How to Calculate the Spring Constant from Frequency and Mass

In summary, the question asks for the spring constant of a spring when a mass of 26 g causes 20 complete vibrations in 3.1 seconds. The formula to find the spring constant is W=√(k/m), where W is the angular frequency, k is the constant, and m is the mass. The first search result suggests using the formula k=W^2*m, where W is the angular frequency and m is the mass. The angular frequency can be calculated using the number of cycles (20) and the time (3.1 seconds).
ricoxg
Here is the question:

-When a mass of 26 g is attached to a certain
spring, it makes 20 complete vibrations in
3.1 s.
What is the spring constant of the spring?
Answer in units of N/m.

My teacher gave me the formula to find the spring constant
but i can't seem to get it right!?

W=Sq Root of k/m

w=work
sq root= square root sign (idk how to do the sign sorry)
k=constant
m=mass

Physics news on Phys.org
ricoxg said:
Here is the question:

-When a mass of 26 g is attached to a certain
spring, it makes 20 complete vibrations in
3.1 s.
What is the spring constant of the spring?
Answer in units of N/m.

My teacher gave me the formula to find the spring constant
but i can't seem to get it right!?

W=Sq Root of k/m

w=work
sq root= square root sign (idk how to do the sign sorry)
k=constant
m=mass

I did a google search, "frequency mass spring constant"

The first result may help:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/shm2.html

w is not work .. It is the angular frequency .. So your k = w^2 * m .. You have the mass m and w is given as w = 2*pi*f ,where f is the frequency .. Since you have no. Of cycles 20 at time 3.1 you can easily compute the frequency f and from there computing w and then get your k ..

1. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the letter "k" and is measured in units of force per unit of length (e.g. N/m or lb/in).

2. How do you calculate the spring constant?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring. This is known as Hooke's Law: F = kx, where F is the force applied, x is the displacement, and k is the spring constant.

3. What factors affect the spring constant?

The spring constant is affected by a few factors, including the material of the spring, the diameter of the spring wire, and the number of coils in the spring. Generally, stiffer materials and smaller wire diameter result in a higher spring constant.

4. How does the spring constant relate to the behavior of a spring?

The spring constant determines the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring. A higher spring constant means that the spring will be stiffer and require more force to stretch or compress, while a lower spring constant means the spring will be more flexible and require less force.

5. How can I find the spring constant experimentally?

To find the spring constant experimentally, you can use a force meter or a scale to measure the force applied to the spring and a ruler to measure the displacement of the spring. Then, using Hooke's Law, you can calculate the spring constant. It is recommended to perform multiple trials and take an average to ensure accuracy.