How to Calculate Coefficient of Kinetic Friction?

• Thread starter HardestPart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation involved solving a physics problem involving a mass sliding down an inclined plane with friction. The equation used was mgH+1/2mv^2-s1umgcosa-s2umg=0. The answer was incorrectly calculated as u=0.2532, but the correct answer is u=0.23.
HardestPart

Homework Statement

When mass M is at the position shown, it is sliding down the inclined part of a slide at a speed of 2.07 m/s. The mass stops a distance S2 = 2.5 m along the level part of the slide. The distance S1 = 1.13 m and the angle q = 30.50°. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface.

Homework Equations

http://capa2.cc.huji.ac.il/res/msu/physicslib/msuphysicslib/13_EnergyConservation/graphics/prob27a_MechEnWFriction.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving this question by:
H=1.13sin30.5
mgH+1/2mv^2-(s1+s2)u*mgcosa=0
9.8*0.5735+1/2*(2.07^2)-3.63u*9.8cos30.5=0
5.6203+2.14245=30.651u
u=0.2532
I get wrong answer all the time
can someone tell me where i went wrong?

I have another question which I have no clue hot to solve it:

The left side of the figure shows a light (`massless') spring of length 0.290 m in its relaxed position. It is compressed to 71.0 percent of its relaxed length, and a mass M= 0.250,kg is placed on top and released from rest (shown on the right).
http://capa2.cc.huji.ac.il/res/msu/physicslib/msuphysicslib/13_EnergyConservation/graphics/prob24_CompSpring.gif
The mass then travels vertically and it takes 1.50 s for the mass to reach the top of its trajectory. Calculate the spring constant, in N/m. (Use g=9.81 m/s2). Assume that the time required for the spring to reach its full extension is negligible.

Can someone tell me how to do this question?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
HardestPart said:

Homework Statement

When mass M is at the position shown, it is sliding down the inclined part of a slide at a speed of 2.07 m/s. The mass stops a distance S2 = 2.5 m along the level part of the slide. The distance S1 = 1.13 m and the angle q = 30.50°. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface.

Homework Equations

http://capa2.cc.huji.ac.il/res/msu/physicslib/msuphysicslib/13_EnergyConservation/graphics/prob27a_MechEnWFriction.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving this question by:
H=1.13sin30.5
mgH+1/2mv^2-(s1+s2)u*mgcosa=0
9.8*0.5735+1/2*(2.07^2)-3.63u*9.8cos30.5=0
5.6203+2.14245=30.651u
u=0.2532
I get wrong answer all the time
can someone tell me where i went wrong?
why sure, in that last term you have s1(u)mgcos theta, which is fine, but then the friction force over the 's2' length is over a level surface, so there's no cos part, its just s2(u)(mg)
I have another question which I have no clue hot to solve it:

The left side of the figure shows a light (`massless') spring of length 0.290 m in its relaxed position. It is compressed to 71.0 percent of its relaxed length, and a mass M= 0.250,kg is placed on top and released from rest (shown on the right).
http://capa2.cc.huji.ac.il/res/msu/physicslib/msuphysicslib/13_EnergyConservation/graphics/prob24_CompSpring.gif
The mass then travels vertically and it takes 1.50 s for the mass to reach the top of its trajectory. Calculate the spring constant, in N/m. (Use g=9.81 m/s2). Assume that the time required for the spring to reach its full extension is negligible.

Can someone tell me how to do this question?
Someone can help if you show an attempt at a solution, but beyond that, please post separate questions in separate posts, to avoid the chaos that develops when multiple questions on different topics are posted together.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to solve the question ne more time as you told me,but am still getting a wrong answer

mgH+1/2mv^2-s1umgcosa-s2umg=0

is the equation is correct?

HardestPart said:
I tried to solve the question ne more time as you told me,but am still getting a wrong answer

mgH+1/2mv^2-s1umgcosa-s2umg=0

is the equation is correct?
Looks good, if I'm interpreting the problem correctly. So I get 5.62+2.14 -u(9.54 + 24.5)= 0
Solve u = 0.23, did you have a math error?

1. What is energy and why is it important?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is important because all living organisms and machines need energy to function. Without energy, life as we know it would not be possible.

2. What are the different types of energy?

The main types of energy include mechanical, thermal, chemical, electrical, and electromagnetic energy. Mechanical energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion or position. Thermal energy is the energy that comes from heat. Chemical energy is the energy stored in chemical bonds. Electrical energy is the energy associated with the movement of electrons. Electromagnetic energy is a type of energy that is transmitted through electromagnetic waves, such as light and radio waves.

3. How is energy produced?

Energy can be produced from various sources, such as fossil fuels, nuclear reactions, and renewable sources like wind and solar power. Fossil fuels are burned to produce heat, which is then converted into mechanical or electrical energy. Nuclear reactions involve splitting atoms to release large amounts of energy. Renewable sources use natural resources to produce energy, such as wind turbines or solar panels.

4. What is the difference between renewable and non-renewable energy?

Renewable energy comes from sources that can be replenished, such as wind, solar, and hydropower. Non-renewable energy comes from sources that cannot be replenished, such as fossil fuels and nuclear energy. Non-renewable energy sources are limited and will eventually run out, while renewable energy sources can be used over and over again without depleting the Earth's resources.

5. How can we conserve energy?

There are many ways to conserve energy, such as using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, and using public transportation or carpooling instead of driving alone. Conserving energy not only helps reduce our impact on the environment, but it can also save money on energy bills.