Help in Explaining Motor Dynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the poster's request for assistance in understanding the equations presented in their notes on the motor. They mention the use of Newton's Law of Rotation and Kirchoff's Laws, and the arrangement of the equations into state-space form. The poster also notes some typos in the equations and provides a link to a separate thread where they have requested help with understanding the equations in more detail.
tehipwn
EDIT: Sorry for posting in wrong board. I will repost this in the homework section. Could someone please delete this post? Thank you

Here is a copy of my notes on the motor. Basically it's just some of Newton's Law of Rotation combined with Kirchoff's Laws. Then we put the model into state space form.

Could someone just please explain to me the meaning of the equations? It's been a while since I've had physics. Thanks a lot for any help!

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5769/dynamics.jpg

I would just love to be able to derive these equations instead of just copying them down, but they're not explained in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi tehipwn. I can explain all the aspects of this but to make it easier could you please narrow down the part that is giving you problems to one (or more) of :

1. The motor and load models themselves.

2. The derivation of the DE's from these models.

3. The arrangement of the resultant DE's into a state-space form.

BTW. Note that there is a typo in those notes. The dot above the equals in the second equation should actually be above the theta (meaning time derivative of theta).

There are actually a couple typos in the equations, but I have made another thread in the proper homework board where all the typos are fixed. I have explained in more detail where I would like help in that thread, found here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2595750#post2595750"

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Help in Explaining Motor Dynamics

1. What is meant by motor dynamics?

Motor dynamics refer to the study of how motors function and how they interact with their environment. This includes the physical movement of the motor, its speed, acceleration, and torque.

2. How do motors work?

Motors work by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy through the use of electromagnetism. This is achieved through the interaction between the motor's stator and rotor, which creates a rotational force.

3. What factors affect motor dynamics?

Several factors can affect motor dynamics, including the motor design, voltage and current supply, load and torque requirements, and the motor's operating conditions. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact motor performance.

4. Why is understanding motor dynamics important?

Understanding motor dynamics is crucial for designing and optimizing motor systems for specific applications. It allows engineers to select the most suitable motor for a specific task and ensure its efficient and safe operation.

5. How can motor dynamics be explained in simpler terms?

Motor dynamics can be thought of as the "personality" of a motor. It describes how a motor behaves and responds to different situations, such as changes in load or speed. Just like how people have different personalities, motors also have unique dynamics that make them suitable for different tasks.