Calculating Velocity for a Loop the Loop

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the minimal velocity at point A to reach point B without completing a full loop and without friction. The suggested equation is (mv^2)/2 = mg*2r, with two different answers given by the individuals involved. The conversation also mentions using energy arguments to determine the speed at point B and the corresponding required and actual centripetal forces at that point. It is noted that the required speed to reach the top is 5gr, and without it, the normal force would need to be negative to keep the car on track.
motti
Hi,

i need to calculate the minimal velocity at point A to reach point B
Not asked to complete full loop, There is no friction.

I guess (mv^2)/2 = mg*2r >>> v = sqrt(4gr), my friend say v = sqrt(5gr)

Thanks.

Attachments

• 55.png
    55.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
You have used an energy argument. With this argument, what would be the speed at B? What is the corresponding required centripetal force at B? What is the actual centripetal force at B?

Probably zero..
i know that its 5gr if i want to "loop the loop" - but i only want to reach the top..

The point is that you need that speed to reach the top. Otherwise the acceleration due to gravity is too large and the normal force from the track would have to be negative (with positive direction defined as being towards the loop center) in order to keep the car on track. So unless the car is somehow fixed to the track (as in some roller coasters that at points have "negative gs") you will need the extra speed in order to actually reach B.

Hello,

Calculating the velocity required for a loop the loop can be done using the conservation of energy principle, where the kinetic energy at the beginning of the loop is equal to the potential energy at the top of the loop. In this case, since there is no friction, all of the initial kinetic energy will be converted to potential energy at the top of the loop.

The formula you have used, (mv^2)/2 = mg*2r, is correct. This can be simplified to v = sqrt(4gr), where m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and r is the radius of the loop. This formula assumes that the object starts at the bottom of the loop and reaches the top of the loop without losing any energy to friction.

Your friend's formula, v = sqrt(5gr), may be taking into account the additional potential energy at the top of the loop due to the height difference between point A and point B. This formula would be accurate if the object were starting at point A and completing the full loop, with a radius of r/2.

In summary, both formulas are correct depending on the specific scenario. If the object is starting at the bottom of the loop and reaching the top, the correct formula is v = sqrt(4gr). If the object is starting at point A and completing the full loop, the correct formula is v = sqrt(5gr). I hope this helps clarify the situation. Best of luck with your calculations!

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity for a loop the loop?

The formula for calculating velocity for a loop the loop is v = √(rg), where v is the velocity in meters per second (m/s), r is the radius of the loop in meters (m), and g is the acceleration due to gravity, which is typically 9.8 m/s².

2. How do you determine the radius of the loop in the velocity formula?

The radius of the loop can be determined by measuring the distance from the center of the loop to the highest point of the loop. It is important to note that the radius should be measured at the highest point, not the bottom of the loop.

3. What is the significance of the velocity for a loop the loop?

The velocity for a loop the loop is significant because it determines whether an object will successfully complete the loop or not. If the velocity is too low, the object will not have enough speed to complete the loop and will fall off. If the velocity is too high, the object may experience too much force and may break or derail.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the velocity for a loop the loop?

Yes, other factors such as air resistance, friction, and the shape of the object can also affect the velocity for a loop the loop. These factors can impact the overall force and speed of the object as it travels through the loop.

5. How can the velocity for a loop the loop be increased?

The velocity for a loop the loop can be increased by increasing the radius of the loop, increasing the speed of the object before entering the loop, or reducing the amount of resistance and friction. Additionally, changing the shape of the object or using a lighter object can also increase the velocity for a loop the loop.