1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP loop the loop

1. Jul 2, 2014 #1
    Hi,

i need to calculate the minimal velocity at point A to reach point B
    Not asked to complete full loop, There is no friction.

I guess (mv^2)/2 = mg*2r >>> v = sqrt(4gr), my friend say v = sqrt(5gr)

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 55.png
      55.png
      File size:
      2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have used an energy argument. With this argument, what would be the speed at B? What is the corresponding required centripetal force at B? What is the actual centripetal force at B?

4. Jul 2, 2014 #3
    Probably zero..
    i know that its 5gr if i want to "loop the loop" - but i only want to reach the top..

5. Jul 2, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The point is that you need that speed to reach the top. Otherwise the acceleration due to gravity is too large and the normal force from the track would have to be negative (with positive direction defined as being towards the loop center) in order to keep the car on track. So unless the car is somehow fixed to the track (as in some roller coasters that at points have "negative gs") you will need the extra speed in order to actually reach B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted