Help me find angular velocity and change in Kinetic Energy

In summary, the problem involves two wheels, A and B, with different moments of inertia and angular velocities. When they stick together at contact, their combined angular velocity and change in kinetic energy can be found by using conservation of angular momentum and the equation for kinetic energy.
samemikejones
got a real tricky but fun problem, wheel A is going 35 rad/s, with I = 25 Kg*m2 and merges into wheel B with I = 15 Kg*m2, if they stick together at contact, find its angular velocity and change in Kinetic Energy...

PlEASE HELP:

So far, I have L = IW, or 8.8 x 10^2 kg m2/sec

and L = IW for oval to be at 9.8 x 10^2 kg m2/sec,

w = L/I
need some guidance from here...PLEASE HELP..!

Physics news on Phys.org
samemikejones said:
got a real tricky but fun problem, wheel A is going 35 rad/s, with I = 25 Kg*m2 and merges into wheel B with I = 15 Kg*m2, if they stick together at contact, find its angular velocity and change in Kinetic Energy...

PlEASE HELP:

So far, I have L = IW, or 8.8 x 10^2 kg m2/sec

and L = IW for oval to be at 9.8 x 10^2 kg m2/sec,

w = L/I
need some guidance from here...PLEASE HELP..!

Your first computation for the angular momentum looks fine. I have no idea where your second line comes from. The problem is not specific, but I assume they indend for you to assume wheel B starts at rest. The two wheels together have greater moment of inertial than either one separately. Angular momentum must be conserved. How do calculate the kinetic energy?

samemikejones said:
K.E. = 1/2 I omegah squared

OK, so you have an initial [tex] \omega [/tex] for each wheel. Use conservation of angular momentum to find their final [tex] \omega [/tex] and calculate the initial and final energies.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or spinning around a fixed point. It is usually measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angle (in radians) by the change in time. The formula for angular velocity is ω = ∆θ/∆t.

3. What is the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related through the radius of rotation. The linear velocity is equal to the angular velocity multiplied by the radius of rotation. This relationship is expressed as v = ωr.

4. What is change in kinetic energy?

Change in kinetic energy refers to the difference in kinetic energy between two points in time. It can be calculated by subtracting the initial kinetic energy from the final kinetic energy.

5. How do I find the change in kinetic energy using angular velocity?

The change in kinetic energy can be found using the formula ∆K = ½I(ωf2 - ωi2), where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity at the initial and final points. The change in kinetic energy is also equal to the work done by the net torque on the object.