Help me in a problem about pressure and force

The forces acting on it are its weight and pressure acting on its surface. The weight of the oil can be calculated using its density and volume. The pressure acting on the surface of the oil is equal to the force exerted on it divided by its surface area. This can be set equal to the pressure acting on the other side, which is simply the height of the oil times the density of the liquid above it. Remember to convert all units to a consistent system. In summary, the problem involves calculating the forces and pressures acting on the oil in the container, taking into account its density and the forces exerted by the surrounding fluids.
Luj
Hey guys...
i'm new student in chemical engineering
and i want your help in a problem:

http://dc16.arabsh.com/i/03036/a79xeldzokge.png [Broken]

at least give me the general idea and i would be greatful...

my regards...
Luj :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Luj! Welcome to PF! :wink:

(pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't post such wide pictures :redface:)

Hint: what are the forces involved?

What is the relation between force and pressure?

What is the relation between pressure and height? :smile:

Hey tiny tim :)
sorry i uploded a new pic :)

i actually got this:
P1 = P2
so F1/ A1 = F2 /A2
10000/500 = F/5 "but still can't complete!"

!?

First of all, you should realize that the applied force in Newtons can't be calculated directly without conversion, because the rest of the data is in imperial units. Make sure your equations use data having consistent units!

Hey Luj! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

Don't forget the weight of the extra oil on the right-hand side! :wink:

ok guys, should i use the density (0.78) here and in which side??
please can anyone tell me the right form for this pb? :(

The oil has the same specific gravity throughout.

1. What is the relationship between pressure and force?

The relationship between pressure and force is that pressure is the amount of force applied over a given area. This means that the greater the force applied, the higher the pressure will be. Similarly, the larger the area over which the force is applied, the lower the pressure will be.

2. How do I calculate pressure?

Pressure can be calculated by dividing the force applied by the area over which it is applied. The formula for pressure is P = F/A, where P is pressure in pascals, F is force in newtons, and A is area in square meters.

3. What are some common units of measurement for pressure and force?

The SI unit for pressure is pascal (Pa), and for force is newton (N). Other commonly used units for pressure include bar, atmosphere (atm), and pounds per square inch (psi). Some common units for force include kilogram-force (kgf), pound-force (lbf), and dyne (dyn).

4. How does pressure affect objects?

Pressure can have different effects on objects depending on the material and structure of the object. In general, high pressure can cause objects to compress or deform, while low pressure can cause them to expand or break apart. For example, high pressure can crush an empty soda can, while low pressure can make a balloon expand.

5. What are some real-life examples of pressure and force?

There are many real-life examples of pressure and force, such as a person standing on the ground (applying force on the ground), a car tire on the road (exerting pressure on the road), or a person diving deep underwater (experiencing high water pressure). Other examples include using a hydraulic press, feeling the weight of an object, and even the air pressure inside a balloon.