1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help needed on unkowns in a matrix

1. Mar 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the following 3 equations are given, show that alpha(a) has two non trival solutions, then solve for the whole thing:

2. Relevant equations
    ax - 3y + ( 1+a) z = 0
    2x + y - az = 0
    (a+2)x - 2y + az = 0

i think i may be missing something but i cant seem to even get started on this problem,
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Well, what HAVE you done? You mention "unknowns in a matrix" so presumably you know how to set this up as a matrix equation. With A as the matrix of coefficients, X as the column matrix <x, y, z> and 0 as the column matrix <0, 0, 0>, your equation is AX= 0. The unique solution will be [itex]X= A^{-1}0= 0[/itex] as long as A has an inverse.

So the question is, "for what values of a does this matrix of coefficients not have an inverse?" I don't know what methods of finding an inverse matrix you have learned but you might try row-reducing the matrix and see what values of a prevent you doing that. Or determine what values of a make the determinant of the matrix 0.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook