Solve for Alpha(a): 3 Equations with Unknowns in Matrix - Need Help!

• Thread starter Martinuk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the problem is to show that the equation AX = 0 has two non-trivial solutions for the given values of a, and then to solve for the entire equation. The suggested approach is to determine the values of a that do not allow for an inverse matrix, and then find the determinant of the matrix.
Martinuk

Homework Statement

the following 3 equations are given, show that alpha(a) has two non trival solutions, then solve for the whole thing:

Homework Equations

ax - 3y + ( 1+a) z = 0
2x + y - az = 0
(a+2)x - 2y + az = 0

i think i may be missing something but i can't seem to even get started on this problem,
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Martinuk said:

Homework Statement

the following 3 equations are given, show that alpha(a) has two non trival solutions, then solve for the whole thing:

Homework Equations

ax - 3y + ( 1+a) z = 0
2x + y - az = 0
(a+2)x - 2y + az = 0

i think i may be missing something but i can't seem to even get started on this problem,
thanks
Well, what HAVE you done? You mention "unknowns in a matrix" so presumably you know how to set this up as a matrix equation. With A as the matrix of coefficients, X as the column matrix <x, y, z> and 0 as the column matrix <0, 0, 0>, your equation is AX= 0. The unique solution will be [itex]X= A^{-1}0= 0[/itex] as long as A has an inverse.

So the question is, "for what values of a does this matrix of coefficients not have an inverse?" I don't know what methods of finding an inverse matrix you have learned but you might try row-reducing the matrix and see what values of a prevent you doing that. Or determine what values of a make the determinant of the matrix 0.

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions, arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics and computer science to represent and manipulate data.

2. What are unknowns in a matrix?

Unknowns in a matrix refer to the elements or values in the matrix that are not given or known. These values are typically represented by variables, such as x, y, or z, and need to be solved for in order to complete the matrix.

3. How can I solve for unknowns in a matrix?

To solve for unknowns in a matrix, you can use various methods such as Gaussian elimination, Cramer's rule, or matrix inversion. These methods involve performing mathematical operations on the given matrix in order to isolate and solve for the unknown values.

4. What are the applications of solving for unknowns in a matrix?

Solving for unknowns in a matrix is useful in many fields, including engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It allows for the analysis and manipulation of complex systems and data, and can be used to find solutions to real-world problems.

5. Are there any tips for solving for unknowns in a matrix?

Some tips for solving for unknowns in a matrix include carefully organizing the matrix, using appropriate mathematical operations, and checking your work for accuracy. It can also be helpful to practice with simpler examples before tackling more complex matrices.