Are Coin Toss Events A, B, and C Independent?

In summary: Is ##P(A)## the same as ##P(A|B \: \&\: C)##?In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of independence of events in probability and provides equations for determining independence. A specific scenario of flipping a coin three times is given, with the probabilities of observing different outcomes being equal. The question then asks for the probabilities of specific events and whether they are independent. The conversation suggests working out the probabilities and considering oblique approaches to determine independence.
Rifscape

Homework Statement

Hi, I have this question that I've been pondering for a while, I keep flipflopping on what I think is right. I only need help on the last part on whether the events are independent or not, the rest of the text is backstory to the question.

I know for events to be independent P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B) and P(A|B) = P(A) and P(B|A) = P(B)

Though I am still having trouble conceptualizing it for this question.

A coin is to be flipped 3 times, list the possible outcomes.

Assume that each one of the outcomes has probability 1/8 of occurring, find the probability of A: Observing exactly 1 head B: Observing 1 or more heads C: Observing no heads

Are events A and B independent? Why or why not? Are events A and C independent? Why or why not? Are events B and C independent? Why or why not?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you for you help and time.

Homework Equations

P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B)
P(A|B) = P(A)
P(B|A) = P(B)

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on my current knowledge this is what I said for the first question
a.Events A and B are independent, since the probability of observing one head does not impact the probability of observing one or more heads.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rifscape said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I have this question that I've been pondering for a while, I keep flipflopping on what I think is right. I only need help on the last part on whether the events are independent or not, the rest of the text is backstory to the question.

I know for events to be independent P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B) and P(A|B) = P(A) and P(B|A) = P(B)

Though I am still having trouble conceptualizing it for this question.

A coin is to be flipped 3 times, list the possible outcomes.

Assume that each one of the outcomes has probability 1/8 of occurring, find the probability of A: Observing exactly 1 head B: Observing 1 or more heads C: Observing no heads

Are events A and B independent? Why or why not? Are events A and C independent? Why or why not? Are events B and C independent? Why or why not?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you for you help and time.

Homework Equations

P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B)
P(A|B) = P(A)
P(B|A) = P(B)

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on my current knowledge this is what I said for the first question
a.Events A and B are independent, since the probability of observing one head does not impact the probability of observing one or more heads.

Why not just work out the probabilities ##P(A)##, ##P(B)## and ##P(A\: \& \: B)##? You have the complete sample space, so that ought to be easy enough. Besides, that is the type of thing you need to practice in order to learn the subject properly.

On the other hand, you could try to come at it obliquely. I hope you realize that ##A## and ##B## are independent if, and only if ##A^c## and ##B## are independent, or if and only if ##A## and ##B^c## are independent. (Here, ##E^c## denotes the complement of an event ##E##.) So, do you think that ##P(A)## and ##P(A|B^c)## are the same? Is ##P(A)## the same as ##P(A|C)##?

What are independent events?

Independent events are events that have no influence on each other. This means that the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other event.

How do you determine if two events are independent?

To determine if two events are independent, you can use the formula P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B). If the result is equal to the individual probabilities of each event occurring, then the events are considered independent.

What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

The main difference between independent and dependent events is that the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other event for independent events, while for dependent events, the outcome of one event does affect the outcome of the other event.

Can independent events occur at the same time?

Yes, independent events can occur at the same time. The probability of both events occurring at the same time is the product of the individual probabilities of each event occurring.

How can understanding independent events be useful in real life?

Understanding independent events can be useful in many real-life situations, such as in gambling, insurance, and even in scientific experiments. It allows us to calculate the probability of multiple events occurring and make more informed decisions based on those probabilities.