Is the Plastic Ball's Charge Positive or Negative in a Uniform Electric Field?

In summary, the content of the conversation is about a suspended plastic ball in a uniform electric field. The question being discussed is whether the ball's charge is positive or negative, and if it is in equilibrium at a 15 degree angle, what the net charge is. The equation E=Ck((q1*q2)/r^2) is mentioned and the solution involves finding the ratio of the electrostatic force and weight of the ball using tan15.
redhawks

Homework Statement

A 2g plastic ball is suspended by a 2cm string in a uniform electric field of 1.0 x 10^4 N/C (the arrows point to the right)

a) is the balls charge positive of negative?
(B) If the ball is in equilibrium when the string makes a 15 degree angle with the vertical, what is the net charge. (15 degree angle going towards where the E arrows point)

Homework Equations

E=Ck((q1*q2)/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) i know it is positive
b) i did work but i can never get the right answer which is 5.3*10^-7C

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure which direction your suspended object is going, but for b) consider the angle of the string. Won't it be the sum of m*g down and the electrostatic force horizontally? So isn't tan15 then the ratio of the 2 forces?

its going right

i don't understand. help, pleaseee

redhawks said:

So isn't tan15 then the ratio of the 2 forces?

F = q*E

and

q*E/(m*g) = tan15

q = m*g*tan15/E

Isn't that all there is to it?

redhawks said:

The force on the charged ball due to electric field is Eq, and weight of the ball is mg. The ratio of the forces is Eq/mg = tanθ. Solve for q.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that an electric charge has on other charges in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is measured in volts per meter (V/m).

2. How do I calculate the electric field?

The electric field can be calculated using the formula E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force exerted by the charge, and q is the magnitude of the charge. Alternatively, the electric field can also be calculated using the Coulomb's Law formula, E = kQ/r², where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge creating the field, and r is the distance between the charges.

3. What is the direction of the electric field?

The direction of the electric field is always in the direction that a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. This means that the electric field lines always point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

4. How does the electric field vary with distance?

The strength of the electric field decreases as the distance from the source charge increases. This relationship is inversely proportional, meaning that as the distance doubles, the electric field strength decreases by a factor of four.

5. Can the electric field be shielded or blocked?

Yes, the electric field can be shielded or blocked by using conductive materials. These materials can divert the electric field and prevent it from reaching a certain area. However, it is important to note that the electric field can still exist inside the conductive material, but it will not be able to affect charges outside of the material.