Help on tis quadratic functions question

In summary, the speed of a particle traveling from point A to point B is given by v = 10t-t², and it starts and ends at rest. By using the quadratic formula to find the two zeroes of the equation, we can show that the particle has a speed of 5m/s or greater for exactly 4√5 s. This is found by calculating the distance between the two zeroes of the equation, which is equal to 4√5.
fluffy91
[SOLVED] Help on tis quadratic functions question

Homework Statement

The speed v m/s of a particle traveling from A to B at time t s after leaving A, is given by v =10t-t². the particle starts from rest at A and comes to rest at B. Show that the particle has a speed of 5m/s or greater for exactly 4[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex] s

Homework Equations

NOne

The Attempt at a Solution

10t-t²>5
t²-10t+5 <0
0.52 < t < 9.47
then i don't know how to do already.
Can someone start me off and guide me along?

Physics news on Phys.org
consider using the quadratic formula

Sigh. You have already solved the problem, but because you are so infatuated with decimal approximations, you don't see the answer even when it stares you in the eye.

On your second line, we factorize the quadratic, with the two zeroes:
[tex]X=\frac{-(-10)\pm\sqrt{(-10)^{2}-4*1*5}}{2*1}=\frac{10\pm\sqrt{80}}{2}=\frac{10\pm\sqrt{16*5}}{2}=5\pm{2}\sqrt{5}[/tex]

You have found that the relevant region lies between these 2 zeroes, and we may then calculate the distance between them:
[tex](5+2\sqrt{5})-(5-2\sqrt{5})=4\sqrt{5}[/tex]
as was to be shown.

Related to Help on tis quadratic functions question

1. What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a polynomial function of degree 2 and its graph is a parabola.

2. How do I solve a quadratic function?

To solve a quadratic function, you can use the quadratic formula, which is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. You can also factor the function or use the completing the square method. It is important to check your solutions by plugging them back into the original function.

3. What is the discriminant of a quadratic function?

The discriminant of a quadratic function is the expression b^2 - 4ac. It helps determine the number of solutions a quadratic function has. If the discriminant is positive, there are two real solutions. If it is zero, there is one real solution. If it is negative, there are no real solutions.

4. How do I graph a quadratic function?

To graph a quadratic function, you can first find its vertex, which is the point where the parabola changes direction. Then, plot a few points on either side of the vertex and connect them with a smooth curve. You can also use the axis of symmetry, which is a vertical line passing through the vertex, to help with graphing.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve quadratic functions?

Yes, most scientific or graphing calculators have a quadratic function solver or a quadratic formula program built in. However, it is important to understand the concepts behind solving quadratic functions without relying solely on a calculator. Additionally, always double check your solutions on a calculator to avoid any errors.