• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Help please!: Fourier Transform of a Gaussian function showing integral equals 1

• Thread starter tjphop
  • Start date
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, the question is from a piece of coursework and before hand we were asked to find the Fourier transform G(K) of the function g(x)= e^(-∏(x^2)) (where g(x)= ∫ G(K)e^2∏ikx dx (integral from -∞ to ∞)). We were told to find G(K) by forming a differential equation in H(K), where H(K) is the Fourier transform for h(x)=g'(x), and using the fact that H(K)=2∏iK*G(K).
We had to show that G(K) = e^(-∏(k^2)) ∫ e^(-∏(x^2)) dx (integral from -∞ to ∞).

The question I am stuck on is the following:

Use the above results to show that ∫ e^(-∏(x^2) dx = 1 (integral from -∞ to ∞)

( i.e ∫ g(x) dx =1 (integral from -∞ to ∞) )

2. Relevant equations

Another previous part involved showing that the Fourier transform for l(x)=xg(x) was given by L(K) = (i/2∏) * d/dk ( G(K) ) , so this may be relevant too.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know how to proceed at all and have tried manipulating all the different expressions but to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

jbunniii

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Try integrating your expression for G(k) from k = -infinity to infinity. What does this give you?

Last edited:

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving