Help Plotting a Piecewise Graph(in Maple) But No Range is Given

In summary, the conversation is about finding the command to plot a piecewise function graph and dealing with the ranges associated with the domain values. The person asking the question has found some successful commands, but they are unsure about the ranges. They also mention two functions that they need to graph that do not have ranges or only have x(not equal to)=0 or x=0. They have attached the function formulas, but not the graphs. The conversation ends with a thank you for the helpful response.
samMD
I need to know the command to how to plot a piecewise function graph, All the ones I have found successfully plot but they "ranges" to go with the domain value.

The Two I have to graph don't have ranges or just have x(not equal to)= 0 or x=0

(Graphs are) attached

thanks

Attachments

• cropped piecewise function.png
    cropped piecewise function.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
samMD said:
I need to know the command to how to plot a piecewise function graph, All the ones I have found successfully plot but they "ranges" to go with the domain value.
Do you mean "they have ranges to go with the domain"?
The range for both functions is all real numbers.
samMD said:
The Two I have to graph don't have ranges or just have x(not equal to)= 0 or x=0

(Graphs are) attached
The function formulas are attached, but not the graphs.

thanks that first part from you really helped it was like a lightbulb went off!

What is a piecewise graph?

A piecewise graph is a type of graph that is made up of multiple functions, each defined for a specific interval or range of values. These functions are "pieced" together to form a complete graph.

Why is no range given for plotting a piecewise graph?

In some cases, the range for a piecewise graph may not be provided because it is either not relevant or it can be inferred from the given functions. This can also be a way to save space and simplify the graph.

How do I plot a piecewise graph in Maple?

To plot a piecewise graph in Maple, you can use the plot command and specify the different functions and their corresponding intervals. For example, plot({f1(x), a < x < b}, {f2(x), b < x < c}, {f3(x), c < x < d}) will plot a piecewise graph with three functions defined for three different intervals.

What are the benefits of using a piecewise graph?

A piecewise graph can be useful in representing complex data or functions that have different behaviors for different intervals. It can also help in identifying key points or transitions between different functions.

Are there any limitations of using a piecewise graph?

One limitation of using a piecewise graph is that it may not be suitable for certain types of data or functions, such as continuous or smooth functions. It may also be more difficult to interpret or analyze compared to a single-function graph.