Solve Pulley Problems: Friction & Inertia | Physics Help

• Thread starter blackice552
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the first problem involves finding the value of the frictional force of a pulley with two hanging masses of 21.5g and 39.8g, where the slope of the graph is 6.77 1/N. Using equations for a system with friction, the frictional force is calculated to be -3.45 N. The second problem involves finding the value of the inertia of the pulley with masses of 55.9g and 41.8g and an intercept of 0.04s2/m on the graph. The frictional force is given as 0.31N and using the equations, the inertia is calculated to be 7.60 kg*m
blackice552
I have to problems that I'm having trouble with today I just can't seem to get my head around a lot of these physics concept so I'm finally coming here Plz help me. I've tried to do these problems and I just don't know what I'm doing.

1.We have two masses hanging from a pulley of inertia mp and constant frictional force f. One mass is 21.5g and the other is 39.8g. When data is taken, the slope of the 1/a vs. (m1 + m2) graph turns out to be 6.77 1/N. What is the value of the frictional force of the pulley? (2 decimals and UNITS!) (g=9.8m/s2)

We have two masses hanging from a pulley of inertia mp and constant frictional force f. One mass is 55.9g and the other is 41.8g. When data is taken, the intercept of the 1/a vs. (m1 + m2) graph turns out to be 0.04s2/m and the frictional force of the pulley 0.31N. What is the value of the inertia of the pulley? (2 decimals and SI UNITS!) (g=9.8m/s2) (If you get a negative answer type it in even though it doesn't make sense physically)

Homework Equations

These are the equations I have:

for no friction:
1/a = (m1 + m2)/((m1 -m2)g)

for a system with friction:
(m1 - m2)g - f = (m1 + m2 + mp)a

1/a = [(m1 + m2)/((m1-m2)g - f)] + [mp/((m1-m2)g -f))]

The Attempt at a Solution

My solutions were totally outrageous I have no idea what I'm doing frankly I've studied this stuff for hours and can't wrap my head around it

Physics news on Phys.org
.For the first problem:1/a = (21.5 + 39.8)/((21.5 - 39.8)9.8)f = (21.5 - 39.8)9.8 - (21.5 + 39.8)6.77 f = -3.45 NFor the second problem:(55.9 - 41.8)9.8 - f = (55.9 + 41.8 + mp)0.04mp = ((55.9 - 41.8)9.8 - f)(25.1/0.04) - (55.9 + 41.8)mp = 0.31 N * 25.1/0.04 - 97.7mp = 7.60 kg

so I hope that someone can help me with these problems.

Dear student,

I understand that physics concepts can be difficult to grasp, but don't worry, I am here to help you solve these pulley problems. Let's take a step-by-step approach to solving them.

1. First, let's understand the given information. We have two masses hanging from a pulley with an inertia of mp and a constant frictional force of f. The masses are 21.5g and 39.8g. We are given the slope of the 1/a vs. (m1 + m2) graph, which is 6.77 1/N. We are asked to find the value of the frictional force of the pulley.

2. To solve this problem, we will use the equation for a system with friction: (m1 - m2)g - f = (m1 + m2 + mp)a. We can rearrange this equation to solve for the frictional force (f): f = (m1 - m2)g - (m1 + m2 + mp)a.

3. Now, let's plug in the given values into this equation. Remember to convert the masses from grams to kilograms (1g = 0.001kg) and the acceleration due to gravity (g) is 9.8m/s^2. We get: f = (0.0215kg - 0.0398kg) * 9.8m/s^2 - (0.0215kg + 0.0398kg + mp) * (6.77 1/N).

4. We are also given the value of the slope (6.77 1/N) and we know that the slope is equal to the inverse of the acceleration (a). Therefore, we can substitute the value of the slope into our equation as a = 1/6.77 1/N.

5. Now, we have all the necessary values to solve for the frictional force (f). We get: f = -0.00084kg * 9.8m/s^2 - (0.0613kg + mp) * (0.148 1/N).

6. To get the value of the frictional force in Newtons, we need to multiply it by 1/N. Therefore, our final equation becomes: f = -0.00084kg *

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable that runs along the groove. Pulleys are used to lift or move heavy objects by changing the direction of the force needed to move the object. The rope or cable can be pulled down or lifted up to move the object in the desired direction.

2. How does friction affect pulley systems?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of objects that are in contact with each other. In pulley systems, friction can cause the rope or cable to slip, leading to a loss of force and efficiency. This can be reduced by using pulleys with low friction materials, such as ball bearings, and by keeping the rope or cable clean and well-lubricated.

3. What is inertia and how does it affect pulley systems?

Inertia is the tendency of objects to resist changes in their state of motion. In pulley systems, inertia can affect the movement of the load being lifted or moved. The greater the mass of the load, the greater the inertia and the more force is needed to lift or move it. This is why it is important to consider the weight of the load and the number of pulleys used in a system to make it more efficient.

4. How can I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is the ratio of the output force to the input force. It can be calculated by dividing the load by the effort force. For example, if you need to lift a 100kg load with a pulley system that requires an effort force of 20kg, the mechanical advantage would be 100/20 = 5. This means that the system provides a mechanical advantage of 5, making it easier to lift the load with less effort.

5. What are some common problems that can arise in pulley systems and how can they be solved?

Some common problems that can arise in pulley systems include rope slippage, pulley misalignment, and worn pulley bearings. These problems can be solved by regularly maintaining and lubricating the pulley system, using high-quality materials, and ensuring that the pulleys are properly aligned. If the problem persists, it is important to consult a professional for further assistance.