Rewriting Complex Trigonometric Expressions: Help Needed

• Thread starter john425
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about rewriting mathematical expressions involving inverse trigonometric functions and the use of sine and cosine functions for simplification. The speaker is seeking help with the algebraic manipulations needed to rewrite the expressions correctly.
john425
I am trying to rewrite -i arctan ix = arctanh x + c as
e^it = cos t + i sin t

I am having trouble rewriting
sqrt[ 1 + i tan t / 1 - i tan t]

as
cos t + i sin t

Is this possible or did I do something wrong?
What do I multiply the sqrts by.

Physics news on Phys.org
When one is lost, it often helps to rewrite all trig functions in terms of sine and cosine.

How does that help here?

I just need help with the algebra, if my substitutions are correct

Because it usually helps you see the necessary manipulations. Besides, the answer you seek is in terms of sines and cosines, so you'll have to do it sometime anyways.

FAQ: Rewriting Complex Trigonometric Expressions: Help Needed

1. How do I know if an equation needs to be rewritten?

Equations may need to be rewritten if they are too complex or difficult to understand, contain errors, or if they do not accurately represent the relationship between variables.

2. What is the purpose of rewriting an equation?

The purpose of rewriting an equation is to make it easier to understand, to correct errors, or to better represent the relationship between variables.

3. What are some techniques for rewriting equations?

Some techniques for rewriting equations include simplifying, expanding, factoring, and rearranging terms. It's also important to check for any errors or inconsistencies in the equation.

4. Can I rewrite an equation in a different form?

Yes, equations can be rewritten in different forms as long as they are equivalent and accurately represent the relationship between variables.

5. How do I know if I have successfully rewritten an equation?

You can check if an equation has been successfully rewritten by verifying that it accurately represents the relationship between variables and is free of errors. You can also confirm that the new form of the equation is equivalent to the original form.

Back