Help! Solving for Volumes of HNO_2 and NaNO_2

• Thread starter ksinclair13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volumes
In summary, to make 1 liter of a solution with a pH of 3.00, you need .100 moles of HNO_2 and .100 moles of NaNO_2.
ksinclair13
Wow, I am having a brain fart :(. I can't seem to figure this question out.

You have solutions of .100 M [itex]HNO_2[/itex] and .100 M [itex]NaNO_2[/itex] ([itex]K_a[/itex] for [itex]HNO_2 = 4.0 x 10^{-4}[/itex]). What volumes of each are needed to be combined to make 1.00 L of a solution with a pH of 3.00?

Here's some information that I've figured out:

[tex]pH = pKa + log (\frac{[NO_2^-]}{[HNO_2]})[/tex]
[tex]3.00 = 3.40 + log (\frac{[NO_2^-]}{[HNO_2]})[/tex]
[tex]\frac{[NO_2^-]}{[HNO_2]} = .40[/tex]

Also,
[tex]pH = -log[H^+][/tex]
[tex][H^+] = .0010 M[/tex]

I've made an "ICE" chart as well (Initial, Change, Equilibrium) using this equation for the set up:

[tex]HNO_2 \longrightarrow H^+ + NO_2^-[/tex]

I also know that the amount of mL of [itex]HNO_2[/itex] is 1000 mL - mL of [itex]NO_2^-[/itex].

Finally, I know that answer is 715 mL [itex]HNO_2[/itex] and 285 mL [itex]NaNO_2[/itex]. I'm sure I could come up with the answer if I spent a while at it - I know I'm close. But it would be great if someone helped me out a little bit :).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No need for ICE, assume there is no reaction taking place - just the ratio given by H-H equation must be maintained. So, x+y=1L, x/y=0.4, that's all.

adding to what borek said

x=moles of nitrous acid, y=moles of conjugate base

(x/y)=.4, y=x/.4

x(1 L /.100 moles HNO2) + (x/.4)(1 L/ .100 moles NO2)=1 L

now find the x and y values and you should be able to go from there

Wow, that was much easier than I thought. Thank you very much for the help :). It would've taken me a long time to figure that out because I assumed you had to make an "ICE" chart.

You should read up on the henderson-hasselbach equation, you can use it in the buffer regions usually in the 10th molarity ratios with respect to both substances (that is one substance is 10 times higher in concentration then the other), at these regions, it's usually safe to say that neither of the compounds go on to react with water, but each of the components, somewhat suppresses such reactions, since they are mutual products (Think La Chatelier's Principle)

Related to Help! Solving for Volumes of HNO_2 and NaNO_2

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of HNO2?

The formula for calculating the volume of HNO2 is V = nRT/P, where n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and P is the pressure in atmospheres.

2. How do I calculate the number of moles of NaNO2?

To calculate the number of moles of NaNO2, you can use the formula n = m/M, where m is the mass of NaNO2 and M is the molar mass of NaNO2. You can find the molar mass of NaNO2 by adding the atomic masses of each element (Na = 23, N = 14, O = 16) and multiplying by the number of atoms present in the compound.

3. What is the relationship between volume and pressure in the ideal gas law?

According to the ideal gas law, volume and pressure are inversely proportional. This means that as pressure increases, volume decreases and vice versa, as long as the other variables (temperature and number of moles) remain constant.

4. How does temperature affect the volume of a gas in the ideal gas law?

According to the ideal gas law, temperature and volume are directly proportional. This means that as temperature increases, volume also increases, as long as the other variables (pressure and number of moles) remain constant.

5. Can the ideal gas law be used for all gases?

The ideal gas law is a simplified equation that applies to most gases at low pressures and high temperatures. However, it may not accurately predict the behavior of real gases under extreme conditions or for certain gases with unique properties. In those cases, more complex equations or corrections may need to be used.