Calculating Weight Component: 46 Degree Slope & Constant Speed | Homework Help

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a lorry traveling up a slope at a constant speed. The question asks to show that the component of the weight of the lorry down the slope is 20000N. The weight of the lorry is 240000N and there is a resistive force of 1200N acting on it. The weight of the lorry does not change, but it has two components - one opposite to the direction of movement and one vertical to the slope. The solution involves using the Pythagorean theorem to find the component of the weight parallel to the slope and it is calculated to be 20000N. There is also a discussion on the possibility of the
ishotbambi

Homework Statement

A simple one mark question which is doing my head in.
'There is a lorry traveling up a slope. Angle of slope is 46 degress with the horizontal and the weight of the lorry is 240000N. A resistive force of 1200N down the slope acts on the lorry as it travels up the slope at a constant speed of 15 meters per second.
Q: Show that the component of the weight down the slope is 20000N

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply can't get my head round it. Why would the weight change? Wouldn't weight remain constant whatever the lorry is doing?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right the weight doesnot change.But it has 2 componets.One opossite to the direction of the movement of the lorry an one vertical to the slope.
So by the pythagoras theorem root(Wx^2 + Wy^2)=W
where Wx is the the componet of the weihgt parallel to the slope and Wy the one vertical to the slope

Take a look of what i mean.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 323
I am sorry i probably misunderstood your question

Did you cinsider the case tha the question is wrong.The weight cannot change.Wx=240000*sin46

1. What are the main components that contribute to weight gain?

The main components that contribute to weight gain are excessive calorie intake, lack of physical activity, genetics, medical conditions, and certain medications.

2. How can I determine the appropriate calorie intake for my body?

The appropriate calorie intake for an individual depends on various factors such as age, gender, height, weight, and activity level. Consulting a healthcare professional or using a calorie calculator can help determine the appropriate calorie intake for your body.

3. Is exercise necessary for weight loss?

Regular physical activity is essential for weight loss as it helps burn calories and increases metabolism. However, creating a calorie deficit through diet is also crucial for successful weight loss.

4. Can genetics play a role in weight gain?

Yes, genetics can play a role in weight gain as it can affect factors such as metabolism, appetite, and body composition. However, with a healthy diet and regular exercise, it is possible to manage and maintain a healthy weight.

5. Are there any supplements or quick fixes that can help with weight loss?

There is no magic pill or quick fix for weight loss. The most effective way to lose weight and maintain it is through a combination of a healthy diet and regular physical activity. Consult a healthcare professional before taking any supplements for weight loss.