Calculating Distance for a Shunted Rail Carriage

• Thread starter access
  • Start date
In summary, a distance equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the distance between two points in a given space. To use it, you need to identify the two points and plug their coordinates into the equation. The most commonly used distance equation is the Pythagorean theorem. It can also be used for non-linear distances, such as on a sphere. Distance equations have applications in fields such as geography, physics, and engineering.
access

Homework Statement

a rail carraige has a mass of 1200kg. the train engine shunts it along the track giving it an average accleration of 0.6ms-2. determine the distance traveled by the carraige in 60 seconds if started from rest.

Homework Equations

i think its something like V*T + 1/2A*Tsquared

The Attempt at a Solution

0*60 + .5*.6 * 60 squared

this number seems to big what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
the answer i am getting is 1080m

thats right

1. What is a distance equation?

A distance equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the distance between two points in a given space. It can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and geography.

2. How do I use a distance equation?

To use a distance equation, you need to identify the two points for which you want to find the distance. Then, plug in the coordinates of these points into the equation and solve for the distance. Make sure to use the correct units for your calculations.

3. What is the most commonly used distance equation?

The most commonly used distance equation is the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

4. Can a distance equation be used for non-linear distances?

Yes, there are distance equations that can be used for non-linear distances, such as the Haversine formula, which is used to calculate distances between two points on a sphere.

5. What are the applications of distance equations?

Distance equations have various applications, including calculating the distance between two cities on a map, determining the speed of an object, and finding the shortest route between two points. They are also used in navigation systems, physics experiments, and many other areas.