Help with Limit: Factorizing t / sqrt(4+t)-sqrt(4-t)

• Thread starter sony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a limit with a square root in the denominator. The conversation provides hints on how to factorize the expression and use the binomial expansion to simplify it. The final solution is to multiply the numerator and denominator by the complement of the denominator and then use the binomial expansion to eliminate the square root. This method is commonly used to solve problems involving square roots.
sony
Hi,

Lim(t->0) t / sqrt(4+t)-sqrt(4-t)

I've stared at this for like half an hour :( Could someone please give me some hints of how I start factorizing this? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you use L'Hopital's Rule?

No, sorry. We havnent gotten that far yet :)

Multiply nominator & denominator with the complement of the denominator, i.e. [itex]\left(\sqrt {4 + t} + \sqrt {4 - t}\right)[/itex]

In the denominator, use [itex]\left( {a - b} \right)\left( {a + b} \right) = a^2 - b^2[/itex]

Now, you should be able to cancel out a t and just fill in t = 0.

The easiest way, use the binomial expansion (the general form for nonintegral exponents).

[tex](1 + x)^{\frac{1}{2}} \approx 1 + \frac{1}{2}x[/tex] for [itex]|x| << 1[/itex]

So

[tex]\lim_{t -> 0}\frac{t}{\sqrt{4 + t} - \sqrt{4 - t}} = \lim_{t -> 0}\frac{t}{2(\sqrt{1 + \frac{t}{4}} - \sqrt{1 - \frac{t}{4}})} = \lim_{t -> 0}\frac{t}{2[(1 + \frac{t}{8}) - (1 - \frac{t}{8})]} = \lim_{t -> 0}\frac{t}{\frac{t}{2}} = 2[/tex]

TD: Then i get ( sqrt(4+t)-sqrt(4-t)) / 2

But the answer is supposed to be 2. I'm still stuck :(

It should be a + between those square roots in the nominator :wink:

Curious: I've never seen that formula before. But thanks.

TD: Gaaah, stupid me. Well I got it now. Thanks!

No problem :smile:

This tactic is often used to get rid off square roots.

FAQ: Help with Limit: Factorizing t / sqrt(4+t)-sqrt(4-t)

1. What is the concept of factorizing in limits?

Factorizing in limits involves finding a common factor or simplifying expression in order to evaluate the limit more easily. In the given equation, the common factor is the square root of (4+t) and (4-t).

2. How do I factorize the given equation?

To factorize t/sqrt(4+t) - sqrt(4-t), you need to multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator, which is sqrt(4+t) + sqrt(4-t). This will help eliminate the radicals and simplify the expression.

3. Can I use the factor theorem to solve this limit?

Yes, the factor theorem is applicable in solving this limit. By finding the common factor and simplifying the expression, you can evaluate the limit using the factor theorem.

4. Is it necessary to simplify the expression before evaluating the limit?

Simplifying the expression is not always necessary, but it can make evaluating the limit easier and more efficient. In some cases, simplifying the expression may also reveal any potential discontinuities or holes in the function.

5. How does factorizing help in finding the limit of a function?

Factorizing helps in finding the limit of a function by simplifying the expression and making it easier to evaluate. It also allows you to apply various limit theorems and rules more easily, such as the factor theorem or the limit of a quotient rule.

Back