Solve Bobsled Problem: Find How Far Does It Travel Up a 30 Degree Incline

• Thread starter choyphin
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to find the distance traveled by a bobsled on an icy incline with a 30 degree angle and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.60, starting at a velocity of 25.0 m/s. The solution involves using the equations Ff=UFn, Fn=mgcosO, and f=ma, and taking any mass (e.g. 100 kg) to cancel out in the end. Using energy rather than force may also be a viable approach. By using the formula 1/2vi^2=FG(cos 30) d and solving for d, the distance traveled was found to be 88.28 meters.
choyphin

Homework Statement

After a bobsled race, the sled and riders have been partially slowed down up in an icy incline, but they need to be brought to a stop. This happens on a portion of track inclined at 30 degrees that has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.60. The sled enters the incline at 25.0 m/s. How far does it travel along the incline before stopping?

Homework Equations

Ff=UFn
Fn=mgcosO
f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't find a way of doing it, since the , mass isn't given, maybe I'm overlooking something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take any mass you like, say 100 kg. It should cancel out in the end.

how would you set up the equation? and also I am sort of clueless on how to find how far the sled goes... sorry.

Last edited:
I got as far as finding the resultant force for the vectors, which i got was 2000N, but that's as far as i got.

I think I would be inclined to use energy rather than force.

ok so using the formula 1/2vi^2=FG(cos 30) d
and solving for D, in which i got 88.28, would that be correct?

1. How do you calculate the distance traveled by a bobsled up a 30 degree incline?

The distance traveled by a bobsled up a 30 degree incline can be calculated by using the formula d = v^2sin2θ/g, where d is the distance traveled, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of incline, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. What is the initial velocity of the bobsled?

The initial velocity of the bobsled can vary depending on factors such as the weight of the bobsled and the force applied by the pushers. However, it is typically around 20-30 mph (8.9-13.4 m/s).

3. How does the angle of incline affect the distance traveled?

The angle of incline has a direct impact on the distance traveled by the bobsled. As the angle increases, the distance traveled also increases due to the increased potential energy and decreased friction.

4. Are there any external factors that can affect the distance traveled by the bobsled?

Yes, there are several external factors that can affect the distance traveled by the bobsled. These include air resistance, snow conditions, and the weight and positioning of the riders in the bobsled.

5. How accurate is the calculated distance traveled compared to the actual distance?

The calculated distance traveled is an estimate and may not be entirely accurate due to factors such as air resistance and friction. However, it can provide a general understanding of the distance traveled by the bobsled up a 30 degree incline.