Help with Guitar Distortion Pedal Schematic

• Thread starter MG-Zero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schematic
In summary: The schematic for the clipping amp is here:In summary, this schematic shows how to build an amplifier that clips the signal when it is overdriven. The input is taken from a guitar and the output is sent to an LED.
MG-Zero
Hey, I've been working on putting this schematic together (Not my design, got it off of instructibles.)

The-schematic.jpg

It's a distortion pedal for a guitar, at this point I have an amplified clean sound coming through, so I know the audio amp is working. My question is, since there's a short circuit following the 220uF capacitor, won't all of the current just bypass that section with the diodes? If so, would it be better to put that part in series with the capacitor and switch?

pinout for the op amp is here
http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/lm386-power-audio.php

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't see any short circuit there.

Between the 220uF capacitor and the dpdt switch. Isn't that a short? Or am I just a dumbass and forgetting something? Probably the later, heheh.

For there to be a short, the wire to the right of the 220 uF cap would have to connect to ground. This is not the case here, for either position of the dpdt switch.

Oh, a short when the switch is closed.

For there to be a short, the wire to the right of the 220 uF cap would have to connect to ground. This is not the case here, for either position of the dpdt switch.

I see, so for it to be a short, the diode section (where ground is) and the negative of the cap would have to be connected to the same thing.

Oh, a short when the switch is closed.

Yes, that's what my concern was since if it was a short, none of the signal from the guitar would be clipped.

Thank you for the help, guys.

You would have to include the diodes in the circuit like this:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/clipping%20amp.PNG

The output would be about 4 volts p-p and have more clipping on the positive half cycles than the negative half cycles for an input of more than 200 mV p-p assuming a gain of 20 from the 386.

You should see the LED flashing for high inputs.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a distortion pedal?

A distortion pedal is an electronic device used to alter the sound of an electric guitar, creating a distorted or overdriven tone. It works by amplifying the signal from the guitar and then clipping the peaks of the waveform, resulting in a more aggressive and distorted sound.

How do I read a guitar distortion pedal schematic?

Guitar distortion pedal schematics are technical diagrams that show the various components and connections of the pedal. They can be read by understanding basic electronic symbols and following the flow of the signal through the circuit. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of electronics before attempting to read a schematic.

What are the essential components of a guitar distortion pedal schematic?

The essential components of a guitar distortion pedal schematic include a power supply, input and output jacks, gain and tone control knobs, transistors or op-amps, and various resistors, capacitors, and diodes. These components work together to shape and amplify the guitar signal to produce the desired distorted sound.

Can I modify a guitar distortion pedal schematic to create my own unique sound?

Yes, guitar distortion pedal schematics can be modified to create a personalized sound. By experimenting with different values of resistors and capacitors, as well as adding or removing components, you can alter the tone and characteristics of the pedal. However, it is important to have a good understanding of electronics and how each component affects the overall sound before attempting to modify a circuit.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with guitar distortion pedal schematics?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when working with any electronic circuit, including guitar distortion pedal schematics. Make sure to disconnect the power supply before making any changes or modifications to the circuit. Use caution when handling components to avoid electric shocks. It is also recommended to use a multimeter to test the circuit before connecting it to a power source.