Help with Conductors in Electrostatic Equilibrium

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two conducting spheres connected by a wire, with one sphere charged and the other with a uniform surface distribution of charge. The question asks for the tension in the wire and prompts the use of the force equation F = ke*((q1*q2)/r2). After some discussion, it is determined that the charge of each sphere should be halved in order to get the correct answer.
ktobrien
Can someone please help me with this problem. I don't even know where to begin after drawing the picture.

Two identical conducting spheres each having a radius of 0.500 cm are connected by a light 1.80 m long conducting wire. A charge of 63.0 µC is placed on one of the conductors. Assume the surface distribution of charge on each sphere is uniform. Determine the tension in the wire.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to imagine what would happen as soon as you charge one of the conductors...

After reaching steady state, imagine the cause that would cause a "tension" on the wire...
What kind of a force is acting on the wire, and why?...Then the mechanics of the problem is really easy because you know the analytical formula to write the force between those two conductors, right?

Is F = ke*((q1*q2)/r2) the force equation you are talking about?

Never mind. I figured it out. I thought that was the equation I needed to use but I wasn't getting the right answer. The reason was because I was using the 63e-6 C as the charge of both spheres. I figured out that I was suppose to half that and use 3.15e-5 C as the charge of each sphere. Thanks for the help though.

Yes, that's correct. Good to hear that you've done it.

1. What is electrostatic equilibrium?

Electrostatic equilibrium is a state where the charges within a conductor are at rest, and there is no net movement of charge or electric current.

2. Why is it important for conductors to be in electrostatic equilibrium?

Conductors must be in electrostatic equilibrium to maintain a stable and constant electric field within the conductor. This is necessary for the proper functioning of electronic devices and to prevent damage to the conductor.

3. How can I tell if a conductor is in electrostatic equilibrium?

A conductor is in electrostatic equilibrium when the electric field inside the conductor is zero. This means that the charges are distributed uniformly and there is no net charge on the surface of the conductor.

4. What factors affect the electrostatic equilibrium of a conductor?

The size and shape of the conductor, the distance between charges, and the presence of other conductors or insulators nearby can all affect the electrostatic equilibrium of a conductor.

5. How can I achieve electrostatic equilibrium in a conductor?

To achieve electrostatic equilibrium in a conductor, you can use a grounding wire to connect the conductor to the Earth or another large conductor. This will allow excess charges to flow out of the conductor, bringing it into equilibrium.