Help with contour integration to find green's function of d^3/dx^3

In summary: But you still have the Cauchy Integral formula, which is just a special case of the Residue Theorem. You can use the Cauchy Integral formula as you suggested. The only thing you need to watch out for is that you will need to integrate over a circle in order to use the Cauchy Integral formula, not a line segment. So you need to use the Cauchy Integral theorem, not the Cauchy Integral formula.In summary, the problem asks to find the Fourier transform of the Green's function for a given linear operator and to use the Cauchy integral theorem to compute the Green's function for x < 0 and x > 0. The Fourier transform is found to be \tilde
Hakkinen

Homework Statement

Given a linear operator [itex]L=\frac{d^3}{dx^3}-1[/itex], show that the Fourier transform of the Green's function is [itex]\tilde{G}(k)=\frac{i}{k^3-i}[/itex] and find the three complex poles. Use the Cauchy integral theorem to compute G(x) for x < 0 and x > 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the Fourier transform of the Green's function and solved for the three complex roots. I'm having trouble setting up and carrying out the contour integration though. I think that you should be able to write (k^3 - i ) somehow in terms of the roots, then break the contour integral up into three separate integrals around each contour with terms like (k - ...)(k - ...)(k - ...) in each denominator?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hakkinen said:

Homework Statement

Given a linear operator [itex]L=\frac{d^3}{dx^3}-1[/itex], show that the Fourier transform of the Green's function is [itex]\tilde{G}(k)=\frac{i}{k^3-i}[/itex] and find the three complex poles. Use the Cauchy integral theorem to compute G(x) for x < 0 and x > 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the Fourier transform of the Green's function and solved for the three complex roots. I'm having trouble setting up and carrying out the contour integration though. I think that you should be able to write (k^3 - i ) somehow in terms of the roots, then break the contour integral up into three separate integrals around each contour with terms like (k - ...)(k - ...)(k - ...) in each denominator?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

The cube roots of [itex]i[/itex] are [itex]-i[/itex] and [itex]-ie^{\pm 2\pi i/3}[/itex].

pasmith said:
The cube roots of [itex]i[/itex] are [itex]-i[/itex] and [itex]-ie^{\pm 2\pi i/3}[/itex].

Thanks for the reply, but I had already solved that

So what's stopping you from doing what the problem says and applying the Cauchy integral theorem to find g(x)?

vela said:
So what's stopping you from doing what the problem says and applying the Cauchy integral theorem to find g(x)?

I don't know if I'm setting up the integral correctly in a form where a straightforward application of CIF could be done.

I know about making arcs to form a closed contour but would I just need to evaluate one of these arcs? In this problem for example can I just use the "lower" arc that goes from -x to x and then loops around the pole at -i back to -x? Knowing that the other two poles will have no contribution by the Cauchy integral theorem. Or would I need to sum the contour integrals of the upper and lower arcs?

So can I just write the lower arc C as this:
[itex]-\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{C}\frac{e^{ikx}}{k^3-i}dk =-\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_{C}\frac{e^{ikx}}{(e^{\frac{i4\pi }{3}}e^{\frac{i2\pi }{3}})}dk[/itex]

where the denominator was factored like (pole at -i - pole in 1st quadrant)(pole at -i - pole in 2nd quadrant), I can simplify this further but is this the right approach?

The idea is that
$$\oint_C f(z)\,dz = \int_{-R}^R f(z)\,dz + \int_\text{arc} f(z)\,dz.$$ If you can show the latter integral vanishes as ##R \to \infty## where ##R## is the radius of the arc, you can conclude the integral along the real axis is equal to the contour integral, which you can evaluate using residues. You can close the contour using an arc in the upper half plane or the lower half plane. The one you use depends on the sign of ##x##.

Hakkinen said:
Use the Cauchy integral theorem to compute G(x) for x < 0 and x > 0.

Then you can't use the Residue Theorem in my opinion.

1. What is contour integration and how is it used?

Contour integration is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals along a specific path or contour. It is commonly used in complex analysis to find solutions to integrals that cannot be easily solved using traditional methods.

2. What is the Green's function and why is it important in contour integration?

The Green's function is a mathematical function used to solve differential equations. It is important in contour integration because it allows us to find a particular solution to a differential equation by using the contour integral.

3. How is the Green's function related to the third derivative of a function?

The Green's function is directly related to the third derivative of a function through the fundamental theorem of calculus. The third derivative represents the rate of change of the second derivative, which in turn represents the curvature of the original function. This curvature is essential in finding the Green's function for a given differential equation.

4. What are some common applications of contour integration and finding Green's functions?

Contour integration and Green's functions are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving differential equations. They can also be applied in statistics and signal processing to solve complex integrals and differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using contour integration to find Green's functions?

Yes, contour integration can only be used for certain types of integrals and differential equations. It may not be applicable or efficient for all problems. Additionally, the contour path chosen can significantly affect the accuracy and difficulty of the solution.