Solve Force Problem with Four Masses in a Rectangle | Figure 12-23

• Thread starter wr1015
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the problem involves four masses positioned at the corners of a rectangle, with a 2.0 kg mass at one of the corners. The net force acting on the 2.0 kg mass can be found using the formula F= m1m2/r^2, with r being the distance between the two masses. To find the direction of the force, the formula F= ma can be used, with a being the acceleration of the 2.0 kg mass. If the sides of the rectangle are doubled in length, the magnitude and direction of the net force will also change.
wr1015
Four masses are positioned at the corners of a rectangle, as indicated in Figure 12-23 (not to scale).

Figure 12-23 (attachment)

(a) Find the magnitude and direction of the net force acting on the 2.0 kg mass if x = 0.20 m and y = 0.15 m.

(b) How do your answers to part (a) change (if at all) if all sides of the rectangle are doubled in length?

I don't even know where to start on this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 12-22alt.gif
    12-22alt.gif
    3 KB · Views: 958
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi wr1015.
Imagine a rectangle ABCD in counterclockwise direction, from botton to top. At vertice A there is mass m1, at B, m2, at C, m4 and at D m3.
I'm putting the origin of coordinate axis at m1. The vector force F on m1 is:
X -> x-axis versor
Y -> y-axis versor
x -> rectangle basis
y -> rectangle height

F=m1m2/x^2 X + m1m3/y^2 Y + m1m4/(x^2+y^2)(x X+y Y)/(x^2+y^2)^1/2

this is the net force done on m1 by all others including their direction. Grouping:

F=( m1m2/x^2 + m1m4x/(x^2+y^2)^3/2 ) X +
+ ( m1m3/y^2 + m1m4y/(x^2+y^2)^3/2 ) Y

This is the vector force. When you substitute your values, try to see if you can write the module of the vector times one linear combination of versors, so the direction apears explicity. Depending on the values, the direction can coincide with the diagonal of the rectangle.

In part (b), just take x->2x and y->2y

I hope this help you.
Cheers

Last edited:
I was wondering in what physics book was this problem located?

wr1015 said:
Four masses are positioned at the corners of a rectangle, as indicated in Figure 12-23 (not to scale).

Figure 12-23 (attachment)

(a) Find the magnitude and direction of the net force acting on the 2.0 kg mass if x = 0.20 m and y = 0.15 m.

(b) How do your answers to part (a) change (if at all) if all sides of the rectangle are doubled in length?

I don't even know where to start on this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Im still confused about how to solve this problem. Isnt the force gravitational force, so you multiply by G on top? Also, how is that you find the distance between 1 and 4?

1. What is a force in physics?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (strength) and direction.

2. How do I calculate force?

Force is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration, using the formula F=ma. The SI unit for force is Newtons (N).

3. What are the different types of forces?

There are several types of forces, including gravitational force, electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Some other common forces include friction, tension, and normal force.

4. How can I solve a force problem?

To solve a force problem, you will need to identify all the forces acting on the object, determine their magnitudes and directions, and then use Newton's Second Law (F=ma) to calculate the net force and acceleration of the object.

5. How can I apply Newton's laws of motion to a force problem?

Newton's laws of motion can be applied to a force problem by using the principles of inertia, acceleration, and action-reaction to analyze the forces acting on an object and determine its motion.