Angular Frequency for Small Oscillations

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a uniform disk suspended from a pivot and the need to find the angular frequency for small oscillations. The solution is found by using the formula w=square root of mgd/I, where m is the mass of the disk, g is the acceleration of gravity, d is the distance from the pivot to the center of mass, and I is the moment of inertia. The individual asking for help initially does not understand the concept, but later realizes the solution on their own.
lgmavs41
[SOLVED] help with homework problem

Homework Statement

A uniform disk of radius 4.4 m and mass 9 kg is suspended from a pivot 1.364 m above its center of mass. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Find the angular frequency w for small oscillations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just wondering what does this question mean by finding the angular frequency for "small oscillations." Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
physical pendulum

If pushed slightly to one side, the disk would oscillate like a pendulum.

never mind. i figured it out. my professor didn't cover it yet but I looked it up. w=square root of mgd/I

1. What is the best way to approach a difficult homework problem?

The best way to approach a difficult homework problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by reading the problem carefully and identifying the key concepts involved. Then, try to relate the problem to other concepts you have learned and use this knowledge to create a plan of attack. Don't be afraid to ask for help from your teacher or classmates if you get stuck.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills is through practice. Make sure to attempt a variety of problems, even ones that you may find challenging. Additionally, try to think critically and creatively when approaching problems. Consider different strategies and approaches, and don't be afraid to make mistakes – they can often lead to valuable insights.

3. How do I know if my answer to a homework problem is correct?

To ensure the accuracy of your answer, double-check your work and make sure you have followed all steps correctly. If possible, try solving the problem using a different method to see if you get the same result. You can also ask a classmate or teacher to review your work and provide feedback.

4. What should I do if I am struggling to understand a homework problem?

If you are having trouble understanding a homework problem, don't hesitate to reach out for help. Your teacher or classmates can offer clarification and guidance. You can also try researching the topic online or using additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials.

5. How do I manage my time effectively when working on homework problems?

To manage your time effectively when working on homework problems, it is helpful to create a schedule and set aside specific blocks of time for homework each day. Prioritize the most challenging or time-consuming problems, and take breaks as needed to stay focused and avoid burnout. Remember to also allow yourself enough time to review and double-check your work before submitting it.