Help with initial value problem

In summary, the equation dy/dt = 4y-2 is solved by separating variables, integrating, and solving for the constant C. The correct constant can be found by setting y and t values from the given initial condition, resulting in the general solution y(t) = (1+5e^(4t))/2.
bengaltiger14
Solve: dy/dt = 4y-2, y(0)=3

I first separate variables: dy/(4y-2) = dt

I then integrate both sides to get: ln|4y-2|=t + c

I next set 4y-2=Ce^t

Do I just plug 3 in for y to get C=10 or am I going about this problem the wrong way??

Physics news on Phys.org
You're close, but made an error.
Your antiderivate for 1/(4y - 2) is not ln|4y - 2|.

Factor 4 from the two terms in the denominator, and then multiply both sides by 4, getting

dy/(y - 1/2) = 4dt

Then continue from there.

Ok, so it should be: ln|y-1/2| = 4t+C

then: y-1/2 = Ce^4t

I am not really sure what to do here.

Do I just set y=3 and t=0 to get C = 2.5?

bengaltiger14 said:

You seem to be using C in 2 places which is fine as long as you recognize that they are different things.

ln|y-1/2| = 4t+C => y - 1/2 = Ae^(4t) where A = e^C

so,
y-1/2=e^C*e^(4t)

Then C still equals 2.5 right?

Well if t = 0 and y = 3 then 2.5 = e^C*e^(0) => e^C = 2.5 i.e. C = ln(2.5)... how are you getting C = 2.5?

The point IS C = ln(2.5) is just some constant once again, so I can call that constant. If I defined A = e^C = e^(ln(2.5)) = 2.5 then I would get what you started with. You need to understand that you can't just say C = e^C and say that that equals 2.5, realize which constant you are talking about.

bengaltiger14 said:
Ok, so it should be: ln|y-1/2| = 4t+C

then: y-1/2 = Ce^4t

I am not really sure what to do here.

bengaltiger14 said:
If y- 1/2= Ce4t and you know that y(0)= 3, then 3-1/2= Ce0= C.
Yes, C= 5/2= 2.5.

y(t)= 1/2+ 2.5 e4t which can also be written
[tex]y(t)= \frac{1+ 5e^{4t}}{2}[/tex]

What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation where the solution is determined by specifying an initial value at a certain point. This point is typically denoted as "t = 0" and is used to find the solution for all values of t.

What is the role of initial values in solving a problem?

The initial values provide the starting point for finding the solution to a problem. They are used to determine the specific solution for a given point, and can also help to determine the behavior of the solution over time.

How do I solve an initial value problem?

To solve an initial value problem, you will need to use techniques from calculus, such as integration and differentiation. First, you will need to find the general solution to the differential equation. Then, you can use the initial values to find the specific solution for the given point.

What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution is an equation that satisfies the given differential equation, but may have unknown constants. A particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies both the differential equation and the given initial values. It is obtained by substituting the initial values into the general solution.

Why are initial value problems important in science?

Initial value problems are important in science because many physical phenomena can be described using differential equations. By solving initial value problems, scientists can make predictions and understand the behavior of systems over time. This is crucial for fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.