How to solve an integration problem using integration by parts

• Thread starter rgitelman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem from a calculus textbook by using integration by parts. The problem involves finding the distance traveled by a particle moving along a straight line with a given velocity function. The solution involves finding the integral of t^2e^-t and using the formula for integration by parts. The final answer is 2-e^-t(t^2+2t+2).
rgitelman
A particle that moves along a straight line has velocity v(t) = t2e-t meters per second after t seconds. How far will it travel during the first t seconds.

This problem is from “calculus” by James Stewart 5e pg 517 # 61

I started the problem by using the formula for integration by parts. This is what I have.

∫udv = uv - ∫ v du

∫ t2e-t dt =

u = t2 dv = e-t
du = 2t v = -e-t

I don’t know where to go on from here. Can someone please show me the solution to this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int t^2 e^{-t} dt[/tex]

[tex]u=t^2 \mbox{ and }v'=e^{-t}\implies u'=2t \mbox{ and }v=-e^{-t}[/tex]

[tex]\implies uv - \int u'vdt = -t^2e^{-t}+2\int te^{-t} dt[/tex]

Continue ...

-Wolfgang.

If u = t^2 then du is not 2t and dv is not e^-t

Steven60 said:
If u = t^2 then du is not 2t and dv is not e^-t

Why not? (Well, dv=-e^{-t} as shown above).

This is what I have:
∫t ^2 e ^-t dt
u = t ^2 dv = e ^-t
du = 2t v = -e ^-t

-t ^2 e ^-t + 2∫te ^-t dt
u = t dv = e ^-t
du = 1 dt v = -e ^-t

-t ^2 e ^-t + 2((t)(-e ^-t) - ∫(-e ^-t)(1)
-t ^2 e ^-t + 2(-te ^ -t) – (e^-t)
-t ^2 e ^-t – 2te^-t – 2e^-t
-e^-t (t^2 + 2t + 2)

The answer in the book says 2-e^-t (t^2 + 2t + 2)

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

integration

Your integration by parts is right, but the particle have moved the distance, d:

[tex]d=[-e^{-t}(t^2+2t+2)]_0^t=(-e^{-t}(t^2+2t+2)\,+\,e^0\cdot 2)=2\,-\,e^{-t}(t^2+2t+2)[/tex]

thank you, i figured it out. c = 2

1. How do I solve an integration problem?

To solve an integration problem, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. First, identify which technique is most suitable for the given problem, and then use the appropriate formula to integrate the function.

2. What is the purpose of integration in science?

Integration is used in science to find the total value or area under a curve. This can be applied in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to calculate important quantities and make predictions based on collected data.

3. How can I check if my integration solution is correct?

You can check the correctness of your integration solution by differentiating the result and comparing it with the original function. If the derivatives match, then your integration solution is correct.

4. Can integration be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, integration is widely used in real-world problems such as calculating the volume of irregular shapes, finding the area under a velocity-time graph, or determining the amount of medication in a patient's bloodstream over time.

5. Is there a shortcut to solving integration problems?

While there is no shortcut to solving integration problems, practicing and familiarizing yourself with different integration techniques can help you become more efficient in solving them. It also helps to have a good understanding of basic mathematical concepts such as derivatives and antiderivatives.