Mastering Limits: Solving \lim_{x\rightarrow 0+} x^{x^2} Using L'Hopital's Rule

• Thread starter laker88116
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, to evaluate the limit \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} x^{x^2}, you can rewrite it as y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} x^2 \ln x and then use L'Hopital's rule to get z = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^+} \frac{\ln x}{\frac{1}{x^2}}. Finally, the original limit can be written as y = e^z, where z is the limit found using L'Hopital's rule. The expression x^x^2 can be interpreted as x^{(x^2)} and not (x^x)^2.
laker88116
[tex] \lim x \rightarrow 0+[/tex] [tex] x^x^2 [/tex]. This should read x^x^2 if that isn't clear. I am not sure where to start. I know that I need to use L'Hopitals Rule and I know that I need to get this in a form of [itex] \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/itex]. Any suggestions on what else to do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, if you take logs of both sides, what could you get?
Let [tex]y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ +} x^{(x ^ 2)}[/tex]
So:
[tex]\ln y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ +} x ^ 2 \ln x = z[/tex]
Now, to find:[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ +} x ^ 2 \ln x[/tex], you can use L'Hopital rule. Rewrite it as:
[tex]z = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ +} x ^ 2 \ln x = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ +} \frac{\ln x}{\frac{1}{x ^ 2}}[/tex]
So [tex]y = e ^ z[/tex].
Viet Dao,

But how do you know that its isn't [tex](x^x)^2[/tex]? I understand what you are saying though and it makes perfect sense, I just wasn't sure where to break it up.

Because [tex] (x^x)^2 = x^{2x}[/tex] and it would seem silly to write it that way.

Ok, well I understand now I was able to interpret it after VietDao29 did most of the work, but anyways, thanks for the help I see it now.

FAQ: Mastering Limits: Solving \lim_{x\rightarrow 0+} x^{x^2} Using L'Hopital's Rule

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It represents the behavior of the function or sequence near that particular value.

2. How do I solve limits?

To solve a limit, you can use algebraic manipulation, graphing, or other mathematical techniques such as L'Hopital's rule or the squeeze theorem. It also requires understanding the properties and rules of limits, such as the limit laws and the definition of continuity.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function or sequence as the input or index approaches the limit value from one direction (either the left or right). A two-sided limit takes into account the behavior from both directions and the limit only exists if the one-sided limits are equal.

4. When is it necessary to use the epsilon-delta definition of a limit?

The epsilon-delta definition of a limit is used when the limit of a function cannot be determined through algebraic or graphical methods. This definition involves proving that for any small distance (epsilon) around the limit value, there exists a corresponding small interval (delta) around the input value where the function values are within the epsilon distance from the limit value.

5. What are some real-life applications of limits?

Limits have various real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, limits are used to calculate the instantaneous velocity and acceleration of an object at a specific point in time. In economics, limits are used to determine the optimal production level for a company based on consumer demand. In engineering, limits are used to ensure the stability and safety of structures and systems.

Back