1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with limit please.

1. Aug 23, 2005 #1
    [tex] \lim x \rightarrow 0+[/tex] [tex] x^x^2 [/tex]. This should read x^x^2 if that isn't clear. I am not sure where to start. I know that I need to use L'Hopitals Rule and I know that I need to get this in a form of [itex] \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/itex]. Any suggestions on what else to do?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2005 #2

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Hmm, if you take logs of both sides, what could you get?
    Let [tex]y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ +} x^{(x ^ 2)}[/tex]
    So:
    [tex]\ln y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ +} x ^ 2 \ln x = z[/tex]
    Now, to find:[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ +} x ^ 2 \ln x[/tex], you can use L'Hopital rule. Rewrite it as:
    [tex]z = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ +} x ^ 2 \ln x = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ +} \frac{\ln x}{\frac{1}{x ^ 2}}[/tex]
    So [tex]y = e ^ z[/tex].
    Viet Dao,

4. Aug 23, 2005 #3
    But how do you know that its isn't [tex](x^x)^2[/tex]? I understand what you are saying though and it makes perfect sense, I just wasn't sure where to break it up.

5. Aug 23, 2005 #4
    Because [tex] (x^x)^2 = x^{2x}[/tex] and it would seem silly to write it that way.

6. Aug 23, 2005 #5
    Ok, well I understand now I was able to interpret it after VietDao29 did most of the work, but anyways, thanks for the help I see it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?