Help with Maclaurin series of (1/x), (1/x^2), etc

In summary: Remember to take the expansion in the variable z.In summary, the assignment is to find the minimum value of the given function and approximate its value when the difference between x and the minimum value is much smaller than the minimum value itself. This can be done by expanding the function using the general Taylor formula and changing the variable to z = 1/(x-x0). The minimum value can be found by setting the derivative of the function equal to zero.
xWaffle

Homework Statement

I have the equation

[itex]f(x) = \frac{\lambda^{2}}{ax^{2}}-\frac{\gamma ab}{x}[/itex]

What I am assigned to do is find a value of x at it's smallest, then approximate the value of the function when x - x(smallest) is much much greater than x(smallest).

Homework Equations

[itex]f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + \frac{f''(0)x^{2}}{2!} + \frac{f^{3}(0)x^{3}}{3!} + \ldots[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I re-wrote the equation to make it easier on the eyes and to help me see what exactly I'm supposed to do..

[itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{x^{2}} \frac{\lambda^{2}}{a}- \frac{1}{x} \gamma ab[/itex]

From this I see that there may be a way to see when terms of the (1/x^2) become insignificant compared to the term with (1/x).

But how in the world do I expand the function with x in the denominator to show this? Am I approaching this wrong to begin with?

My idea was to find that first value of x, which I thought might be the 'a0' term of its Maclaurin Series (we are not dealing with Taylor Series about any points except the origin). But I can't find a Maclaurin series for a function where I need to plug in zero in the denominator.

Remember, the end goal is to approximate the original function when this "smallest significant x-value" is much much less than the value of the function. I think this can be re-written in a way to say, when [itex]|x - x_{0}| << x_{0}[/itex].

I hope I'm on the right track. If I'm not, then disregard the question about the Maclaurin series for now and help me get back on track.. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
xWaffle said:
What I am assigned to do is find a value of x at it's smallest, then approximate the value of the function when x - x(smallest) is much much greater than x(smallest).

that should be "... much much smaller than x(smallest)", I guess.

If that's the case, then you want to expand it into a series. But not a Maclaurin series, that's no use here. Instead use the general Taylor formula:
[tex] f(x) = f(x_0) + f'(x_0)(x-x_0) + \frac{1}{2} f''(x_0)(x-x_0)^2 + ... [/tex]

The first part implies, I think, that yo find the value x were the function is minimal. This has nothing to do with Maclaurin or Taylor expansion.

The second part implies that you change the variable ## z = \frac {1} {x - x_0} ##, and express the function in terms of this variable, then obtain its linear approximation.

clamtrox said:
that should be "... much much smaller than x(smallest)", I guess.

If that's the case, then you want to expand it into a series. But not a Maclaurin series, that's no use here. Instead use the general Taylor formula:
[tex] f(x) = f(x_0) + f'(x_0)(x-x_0) + \frac{1}{2} f''(x_0)(x-x_0)^2 + ... [/tex]

But how am I supposed to find this value of x-zero to use in the series? I thought I had to use the series to find it.

Or do I take its limit as it approaches zero, or..? I'm still lost

xWaffle said:
But how am I supposed to find this value of x-zero to use in the series? I thought I had to use the series to find it.

Or do I take its limit as it approaches zero, or..? I'm still lost

Oh, I thought it was the value where f(x) is the smallest. Maybe I misunderstood?

clamtrox said:
Oh, I thought it was the value where f(x) is the smallest. Maybe I misunderstood?

Maybe I'm jumbling up notation.. The value I was calling x0 is where the function is a minimum value, and then I need to approximate the function for when |x - x0| is <<< than x0

I was assuming I needed to use some sort of series because it's included in the "series" part of the assignment

xWaffle said:
Maybe I'm jumbling up notation.. The value I was calling x0 is where the function is a minimum value, and then I need to approximate the function for when |x - x0| is <<< than x0

I was assuming I needed to use some sort of series because it's included in the "series" part of the assignment

You can find the minimum value easily by just requiring that f'(x0) = 0. Then expand the function in the vicinity of this point.

1. What is the Maclaurin series of 1/x?

The Maclaurin series of 1/x is 1/x + 0 + 0 + 0 + ..., where the terms are determined by taking the derivatives of 1/x at x=0.

2. How do you find the Maclaurin series of (1/x)^2?

The Maclaurin series of (1/x)^2 is (1/x)^2 - 2(1/x^3) + 3(1/x^4) - 4(1/x^5) + ..., where the terms are determined by taking the derivatives of (1/x)^2 at x=0.

3. Can the Maclaurin series of (1/x) be used to approximate other functions?

Yes, the Maclaurin series of (1/x) can be used as an approximation for other functions, but it may not be accurate for all values of x. It is best to check the convergence of the series before using it to approximate a function.

4. How many terms of the Maclaurin series of (1/x) do I need to use for a good approximation?

The number of terms needed for a good approximation of (1/x) depends on the desired level of accuracy. Generally, the more terms used, the more accurate the approximation will be.

5. Are there any special cases for finding the Maclaurin series of (1/x)?

Yes, for certain values of x, the Maclaurin series of (1/x) may not converge. This is known as a singularity. For example, the series does not converge for x=0 and x=2. In these cases, alternate methods of approximation should be used.