Help with material selection - Car Piston

In summary, the first year mech engineering student is looking to get some input on a recent project for his Material Selection class. He has researched the properties of different materials and has come to the conclusion that a titanium piston would be the best option. However, he is aware of the disadvantages of titanium, such as the cost to procure and the difficulty in machineing.
chuffy
Hi guys,
1st year mech engineering student looking to get some input on a recent project for my Material Selection class

I have to select an alternative material that could be used to make a car piston
For simplicity I'll only be forcusing on the piston itself, not the con rods or anything like piston rings

I have done some research and most car engines for public use are made from silicone aluminum alloy. The properties are light weight, easy to machine, available material and can be forged to increse strength

I've thought about suggesting a Titanium piston. Advantage would be less thermal expansion than aluminium, higher melting point ... Disadvantage would be cost to procure and it's harder to machine than aluminum.

As long as I pick a material of similar properties as what is currently used I'll be fine.

Does anyone have more innovative ideas? I think most of my class will be choosing titanium. as long as I state the positive and negative sides to the selected material, the answer is acceptable.

thanks for reading.

Engineering news on Phys.org
cheers like the sound of ceramic just need to research it now
would they just be ceramic coated or the whole part made from ceramic (plus what kind of ceramic?)

When I was in college 25 years ago, ceramic pistons were a big research area but it seems like it's tapered off since then. I don't do any work in that area so I can't tell you much. Take a look through the literature and see what you come up with. If you find anything you'd like to discuss, go ahead and respond here. I'd be curious to see what the state of the art is today for ceramic pistons.

I've read some of the research regarding carbon pistons and it sounds pretty interesting. There's a lot of information out there on them and may even be more heavily researched than ceramic. Don't know.

Not sure if I should go with carbon-carbon or silicon carbide

1. What materials are commonly used for car pistons?

The most commonly used materials for car pistons are aluminum and cast iron. Aluminum pistons are lightweight and have good heat dissipation, while cast iron pistons are more durable and can withstand higher temperatures.

2. How do I choose the right material for my car piston?

The material for a car piston should be chosen based on factors such as the engine type, power output, and desired performance. Aluminum is typically used for high-performance engines, while cast iron is better suited for heavy-duty and diesel engines.

3. Are there any alternative materials for car pistons?

Yes, there are some alternative materials for car pistons such as steel, titanium, and ceramic. However, these materials are not commonly used due to their higher cost and more specialized applications.

4. How important is the material selection for car pistons?

The material selection for car pistons is crucial as it can greatly affect the performance, durability, and longevity of the engine. Using the wrong material can result in premature wear and failure of the piston.

5. Can I use different materials for each piston in my car's engine?

It is not recommended to use different materials for each piston in a car's engine. This can cause imbalances and lead to engine damage. It is best to use the same material for all pistons in an engine.