Help with modal logic exercise

In summary, modal logic is a formal logic system that deals with modalities such as possibility, necessity, and contingency. An exercise in modal logic is a problem that requires the use of modal logic principles and rules to solve. It is important because it allows us to reason about uncertain situations and is used in various fields. Common pitfalls when solving modal logic exercises include confusing different modalities and not carefully considering the meaning of modal terms. To improve skills in solving modal logic exercises, regular practice and familiarity with principles and rules are recommended, as well as seeking feedback from others.
hatsoff
I'm teaching myself modal logic, and I'm curious about the following exercise, taken from this book...

Homework Statement

Prove [tex]T:\; \Box A \rightarrow A[/tex] using the following rules:

Homework Equations

Given the structure [tex]M=<W,R,P>[/tex] in which [tex]W[/tex] and [tex]P[/tex] are as they are in a model, and [tex]R[/tex] is an equivalence relation on [tex]W[/tex], we have:

(1) [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^M\mathbb{P}_n[/tex] iff [tex]\alpha\in P_n[/tex], for [tex]n=0,1,2,...[/tex]

(2) [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^M\mathbb\top[/tex]

(3) Not [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^M\bot[/tex]

(4) [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^M\neg A[/tex] iff not [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA[/tex]

(5) [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA\wedge B[/tex] iff both [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA[/tex] and [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MB[/tex].

(6) [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA\vee B[/tex] iff either [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA[/tex] or [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MB[/tex], or both.

(7) [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA\rightarrow B[/tex] iff if [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA[/tex] then [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MB[/tex].

(8) [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA\leftrightarrow B[/tex] iff [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA[/tex] if and only if [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MB[/tex]

(9') [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^M\Box A[/tex] iff for every [tex]\beta\in M[/tex] such that [tex]\alpha R \beta[/tex], [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA[/tex].

(10') [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^M\Diamond A[/tex] iff for some [tex]\beta\in M[/tex] such that [tex]\alpha R \beta[/tex], [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure of the proper notation to begin this. I would think that we would begin by declaring a variable to represent the actual world. Let's use [tex]\alpha\in W[/tex]. Then for [tex]M=<W,R,P>[/tex] as described above:

[tex]\Box A\rightarrow\vDash_{\alpha}^M\Box A[/tex]

Correct?

And if this is the case, then by (9') and the reflexivity of [tex]R[/tex] (all equivalence relations are reflexive), we can say:

[tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^M\Box A[/tex] with [tex]\alpha\in M[/tex] and [tex]\alpha R \alpha \;\rightarrow\; \vDash_{\alpha}^MA[/tex]

And since [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the actual world, we have [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA\rightarrow A[/tex]. Correct?

So, assuming all this is proper, then we give the following proof...

Choose [tex]\alpha\in W[/tex] with [tex]\alpha[/tex] the actual world and [tex]M=<W,R,P>[/tex] as described above. Then:

[tex]\Box A\rightarrow \vDash_{\alpha}^M\Box A[/tex] with [tex]\alpha\in M[/tex] and [tex]\alpha R \alpha \;\rightarrow\; \vDash_{\alpha}^MA\rightarrow A[/tex]

Does that look okay?

Physics news on Phys.org

it is great to see someone teaching themselves modal logic! It is a very interesting and useful branch of logic. I will provide a proof for the given exercise below:

Proof: Let \alpha be the actual world and M=<W,R,P> as described above.

Assume \vDash_{\alpha}^M\Box A. By (9'), for every \beta\in M such that \alpha R \beta, we have \vDash_{\alpha}^MA. Since R is an equivalence relation, \alpha R \alpha, which means \vDash_{\alpha}^MA.

By (7), if \vDash_{\alpha}^MA, then \vDash_{\alpha}^MA\rightarrow A. Therefore, by modus ponens, we have \vDash_{\alpha}^MA\rightarrow A.

Since we assumed \vDash_{\alpha}^M\Box A, and we have shown that \vDash_{\alpha}^MA\rightarrow A, we can conclude \vDash_{\alpha}^M\Box A \rightarrow A by (7).

This concludes the proof. Keep up the good work learning modal logic!

What is modal logic?

Modal logic is a type of formal logic that deals with modalities, or modes of truth, such as possibility, necessity, and contingency. It is used to reason about statements that contain modal terms, which indicate the degree of truth or possibility of a statement.

What is an exercise in modal logic?

An exercise in modal logic is a problem or set of problems that require the use of modal logic principles and rules to solve. These exercises are used to practice and demonstrate understanding of modal logic concepts.

Why is modal logic important?

Modal logic is important because it allows us to reason about uncertain or possible situations and make predictions about what is or could be true. It is also used in various fields such as philosophy, mathematics, and computer science.

What are some common pitfalls when solving modal logic exercises?

Some common pitfalls when solving modal logic exercises include confusing different modalities, incorrect application of rules, and not carefully considering the meaning of modal terms in statements.

How can I improve my skills in solving modal logic exercises?

To improve your skills in solving modal logic exercises, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the principles and rules of modal logic. It can also be helpful to work through examples and seek feedback from others.