1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with modal logic exercise

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1
    I'm teaching myself modal logic, and I'm curious about the following exercise, taken from this book...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove [tex]T:\; \Box A \rightarrow A[/tex] using the following rules:

2. Relevant equations

Given the structure [tex]M=<W,R,P>[/tex] in which [tex]W[/tex] and [tex]P[/tex] are as they are in a model, and [tex]R[/tex] is an equivalence relation on [tex]W[/tex], we have:

(1) [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^M\mathbb{P}_n[/tex] iff [tex]\alpha\in P_n[/tex], for [tex]n=0,1,2,...[/tex]

(2) [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^M\mathbb\top[/tex]

(3) Not [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^M\bot[/tex]

(4) [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^M\neg A[/tex] iff not [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA[/tex]

(5) [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA\wedge B[/tex] iff both [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA[/tex] and [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MB[/tex].

(6) [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA\vee B[/tex] iff either [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA[/tex] or [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MB[/tex], or both.

(7) [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA\rightarrow B[/tex] iff if [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA[/tex] then [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MB[/tex].

(8) [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA\leftrightarrow B[/tex] iff [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA[/tex] if and only if [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MB[/tex]

(9') [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^M\Box A[/tex] iff for every [tex]\beta\in M[/tex] such that [tex]\alpha R \beta[/tex], [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA[/tex].

(10') [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^M\Diamond A[/tex] iff for some [tex]\beta\in M[/tex] such that [tex]\alpha R \beta[/tex], [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm unsure of the proper notation to begin this. I would think that we would begin by declaring a variable to represent the actual world. Let's use [tex]\alpha\in W[/tex]. Then for [tex]M=<W,R,P>[/tex] as described above:

[tex]\Box A\rightarrow\vDash_{\alpha}^M\Box A[/tex]

Correct?

And if this is the case, then by (9') and the reflexivity of [tex]R[/tex] (all equivalence relations are reflexive), we can say:

[tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^M\Box A[/tex] with [tex]\alpha\in M[/tex] and [tex]\alpha R \alpha \;\rightarrow\; \vDash_{\alpha}^MA[/tex]

And since [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the actual world, we have [tex]\vDash_{\alpha}^MA\rightarrow A[/tex]. Correct?

So, assuming all this is proper, then we give the following proof...

Choose [tex]\alpha\in W[/tex] with [tex]\alpha[/tex] the actual world and [tex]M=<W,R,P>[/tex] as described above. Then:

[tex]\Box A\rightarrow \vDash_{\alpha}^M\Box A[/tex] with [tex]\alpha\in M[/tex] and [tex]\alpha R \alpha \;\rightarrow\; \vDash_{\alpha}^MA\rightarrow A[/tex]

Does that look okay?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?