Help With Physics problems i'm having trouble

In summary, the stopping distance of the car when it is traveling up a 17.1° slope, and it locks its wheels while traveling at 34.9 m/s (78.2 mi/hr) is 61.0 m (200.1 ft).
songokou77
1)Find the stopping distance of that same car when it is traveling up a 17.1° slope, and it locks its wheels while traveling at 34.9 m/s (78.2 mi/hr). Assume that mu_k does not depend on the speed.

2)A mass of 4.100 kg is suspended from a 1.430 m long string. It revolves in a horizontal circle.
The tangential speed of the mass is 2.899 m/s. Calculate the angle between the string and the vertical (in degrees).

I'm having trouble with this two problems. The first one all i think of are the formulas : a=v^2/(2(distance), and i have to find the distance, but i don't understand :Assume ...
In the second problem i thought i could get the angle by find the inverse cosine of the ropes lenght, but I am not that sure

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
songokou77 said:
1)Find the stopping distance of that same car when it is traveling up a 17.1° slope, and it locks its wheels while traveling at 34.9 m/s (78.2 mi/hr). Assume that mu_k does not depend on the speed.

2)A mass of 4.100 kg is suspended from a 1.430 m long string. It revolves in a horizontal circle.
The tangential speed of the mass is 2.899 m/s. Calculate the angle between the string and the vertical (in degrees).

Step 1: What is the data I have?
v(i) = 34.9m/s
v(f)
mg(y) = 9.8m/s^2
mg(parrallell) ' to slope = 9.8*sin(17.1)
mg(perpendicular) = 9.8*cos(17.1)

Alright, what don't we know?
mu_k
t
d

Uh oh, without those 3 we can't solve mu_k. That means we can't find the friction. You're not telling me all the data.

2. You'll need the formula for centripedal acceleration. a = v^2/r

Actually this was a two part problem the first part was:
A 680.0 kg car traveling on a level road at 27.0 m/s (60.5 mi/hr) can stop, locking its wheels, in a distance of 61.0 m (200.1 ft). Find the size of the horizontal force which the car applies on the road while stopping.
The answer for that one was : 4.06E+03 N

songokou77 said:
Actually this was a two part problem the first part was:
A 680.0 kg car traveling on a level road at 27.0 m/s (60.5 mi/hr) can stop, locking its wheels, in a distance of 61.0 m (200.1 ft). Find the size of the horizontal force which the car applies on the road while stopping.
The answer for that one was : 4.06E+03 N

Find mu_k with the first question and the second becomes possible.

I used the data I have, but either the formula I'm using is incorrect or I'm doing something wrong. I tried using a=V^2/2(d) and i tried to solve for d there but i don't get a correct answer. Can you recommend any formula for this maybe a variation of the 3rd law( i assume this is a 3rd law problem).

1. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

The best way to improve your understanding of physics concepts is to practice solving problems. It's also helpful to review class notes and lectures, and to seek help from your teacher or peers if you are struggling with a specific concept.

2. What do I do if I can't solve a physics problem?

If you are having trouble solving a physics problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts and solving each part separately. You can also try looking for similar problems in your textbook or online for guidance. If you still can't solve the problem, don't be afraid to ask for help from your teacher or classmates.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

The key to improving your problem-solving skills in physics is practice. Make sure to understand the fundamental concepts and equations, and then practice solving a variety of problems. It's also helpful to review your mistakes and understand where you went wrong.

4. How do I know which equations to use for a physics problem?

When solving a physics problem, it's important to first identify what the problem is asking for and what information is given. Then, use your knowledge of physics concepts and equations to select the appropriate equation(s) to solve the problem. If you are unsure, you can always ask your teacher for guidance.

5. Where can I find additional help with physics problems?

There are many resources available for additional help with physics problems. Your teacher, classmates, and textbooks are great sources for clarification and practice problems. You can also find online tutorials, practice problems, and forums to help you with specific physics concepts. Don't be afraid to reach out for help when you need it!