How Is Total Force Calculated on a Dam Wall?

• Thread starter hannsparks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the total force exerted on the wall in contact with the water at a dam is 5000 tonnes. This is calculated by finding the average pressure of 10000 kg/m^2 and multiplying it by the area of 500 m^2.
hannsparks
Figure 2 below shows water at a dam. The depth of the water at the dam is
20 meters. The area of the wall of the dam which is in contact with the water
is 500 m 2. The atmospheric pressure is 1 atmosphere and the mass per unit
volume density of the water is 1000 kg/m^3 Find the total force exerted on the wall which is in contact with the water.

so far I've found p=2.97e5
p=1.013e5+1000*9.8*20

p=F/A
F=2.97e5*500
F=1.485e8

i found avg pressure : (1.013e5+2.97e5)/2
=1.991e5

Im not sure what to do next please help

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any "figure 2 below". And, unfortunately, the shape of the dam may be important. The pressure upon parts of the dam 20 feet below the water level (where each the pressure will be 1000*20*9.8) is greater than the pressure upon parts of the dam only slightly below the water level (where there is very little water above it to exert pressure).
And where did you get that figure "1.013e5"? Is that due to atmospheric pressure? That should be very small.

You have asked the "Total" force exerted on the wall. It could be found by finding the average pressure acting on the wall and the area exposed to the pressure.
Depth of water is 20 metres. Pressure at top = 0 kgf/cm^2, pressure at bottom = 2 kgf/cm^2, average pressure = 1 kg/cm^2 = 10000 kg/m^2.
Area = 500 m^2. So "Total" force = 10000 x 500 = 5e6 kgf. = 5000 Tonnes

What is pressure?

Pressure is the force applied per unit area of a surface. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

What causes pressure?

Pressure is caused by the collisions of molecules or particles with a surface. The more collisions that occur, the higher the pressure will be.

How can I decrease pressure?

There are a few ways to decrease pressure, such as increasing the surface area over which the force is applied, reducing the force itself, or increasing the volume. These methods can help to distribute the pressure over a larger area, reducing its intensity.

What are the effects of high pressure?

High pressure can have various effects depending on the context. In a scientific setting, high pressure can lead to changes in the physical properties of substances, such as their melting point or boiling point. In daily life, high pressure can cause discomfort or pain, such as in the case of high blood pressure in the body.

How can I calculate pressure?

Pressure can be calculated by dividing the force applied by the area over which it is applied. This can be represented by the equation P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area. It is important to make sure that the units of force and area are consistent in order to get an accurate measurement of pressure.