Help with projetile motion using Energy Theorem

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with their online homework, specifically in finding the speed of a baseball thrown from the roof of a building. The person has split the problem into two parts, and has used equations to find the maximum height and final velocity of the ball. However, they are getting an error message and are unsure if they are doing something wrong. Another person points out a mistake in considering the x-component of velocity and offers a suggestion for finding the correct answer. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for their help and mentioning the website they are using for their homework.
babbagee
I just wanted some one to check over my answer because i am doing my homework online and it keeps telling that my answer is close, and that i have made a rounding error or used the wrong sig figs.

The problem is
A baseball is thrown from the roof of a building of height 22.1 m with an initial velocity of magnitude 12.1 m/s and directed at an angle of 53.1o above the horizontal.

What is the speed of the ball just before it hits the ground.

Ok i split the problem into two parts. From the point he threw the ball to when it reaches its max height and then from its max height to the point where it hits the ground. For the first part its going to be

Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf
the intial potential energy is going to be zero.
I used this equation to find the max height it reached and i got 4.78m.

Then i used the equation again except this time it has to final potential energy. I used 26.9 as my height and solved for the final velocity. And i got 22.9m/s. But the thing keeps telling me i am close. I tried to find the answer using kinematics and i got the same answer. Can some one tell me if i am doing something wrong.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what you just wrote. If he is 22.1 meters up on a building, and throw the ball up at an angle, how can the maximum height reached be equal to 4.78meters? 26.87 sounds about right. As for the speed before it hits the ground, it is influenced by projectile motion, which means it has a component of velocity in the +x direction as well. Take that into account by using sqrt(x^2+y^2) to find the magnitude of the net resultant velocity just before impact. Hopefully that will find your mistake.

Last edited:
But i am assuming that the point where he threw the ball is the origin, and the the distance below is -22.1m.

But most likely the question assumes the orgin as the ground, not the top of the building, unless it explicitly says so.

Well, actually, reading it a second time, it seems that all you care about is the final velocity before impact. If you did your y component right, try factoring in the x-component, I bet that's what you neglected. And see if it pans out or not.

Yes you are right, i for got to take the x-component into consideration. I was just giving the y-component of velocity.

Thanks

cool, no problem. Are you using webassigns.net? my friend uses that for his online physics homework, just curious.

masteringphysics.com

Related to Help with projetile motion using Energy Theorem

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It occurs when an object is thrown or launched into the air and travels along a curved path.

2. What is the Energy Theorem?

The Energy Theorem, also known as the Work-Energy Theorem, states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that the energy of a system can be conserved and transferred between different forms.

3. How can the Energy Theorem be applied to projectile motion?

The Energy Theorem can be used to analyze the motion of a projectile by considering the different forms of energy involved, such as kinetic energy and potential energy. By applying the theorem, we can determine the velocity, height, and range of a projectile.

4. What are the advantages of using the Energy Theorem for projectile motion?

Using the Energy Theorem for projectile motion allows for a simplified and efficient analysis of the motion. It also provides a more comprehensive understanding of the factors affecting the motion, such as the initial velocity and angle of launch.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Energy Theorem for projectile motion?

One limitation of using the Energy Theorem for projectile motion is that it assumes no external forces are acting on the object other than gravity. Additionally, it does not take into account factors such as air resistance, which can affect the motion of the projectile in real-life situations.