Help with reverse siphon break?

In summary, Cliff_J suggests using a gas can with a small opening to siphon a liquid into a smaller container. He also suggests using a pet water feeder to avoid moving parts.
Raavin
Help with reverse siphon break?

Hey there,

Not sure if this is possible but...

I was wondering if there was a way to set something up so that one liquid would siphon into a lower container and stop when the liquid reached the level of the tube opening without using any sort of valve?

Basically I need a large volume of liquid to feed into a small volume bottle then shut off when the smaller bottle gets to a certain level. I think there may be a way to do it using either or both the siphoning effect and capillary effect.

The main point is to minimise (actually eliminate) moving parts like valves.

Any ideas?

Raavin

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could just make the larger container air-tight. Now as the liquid drains from it through the tube, it gurgules as the air goes back up the tube to make up the displacement of liquid removed. Once the liquid reaches the level of the tube opening, no more air is available to allow any more liquid to be displaced.

I have a gas can for my lawn mower that works this way. It works ok. With something of a higher viscosity and a smaller opening it would work better, like trying to get motor oil out of those plastic bottles if you tip them completely upside-down instead of pouring them into the funnel.

HTH
Cliff

To do it once, is feasable, repetitions are another story...

Mmmm, yes, that might just work. For some reason I was getting stuck on the larger container 'siphoning' the fluid out rather than taking the feed tube out of the bottom of the container. Now that I think about it, you can get pet water feeders that you attach an inverted bottle to and it feeds in water when the water gets below the level of the opening.

Nice work Cliff_J. I'll have to get experimenting.

Cheers,

Raavin :D

Last edited:

1. What is a reverse siphon break?

A reverse siphon break is a device used to prevent backflow in a siphon system. It is placed at the highest point of the siphon and allows air to enter the system, breaking the siphon and preventing water from flowing in the wrong direction.

2. When is a reverse siphon break necessary?

A reverse siphon break is necessary when there is a risk of backflow in a siphon system. This can occur when the siphon is connected to a water source that is higher than the outlet, or when the siphon is used to transfer fluids between two containers at different heights.

3. How does a reverse siphon break work?

A reverse siphon break works by allowing air to enter the siphon system, breaking the vacuum that is created by the flow of water. This prevents backflow and ensures that the siphon continues to function properly.

4. Can a reverse siphon break be used in any type of siphon system?

Yes, a reverse siphon break can be used in any type of siphon system, including ones that are used for irrigation, drainage, or fluid transfer. It is an essential safety feature in siphon systems and should be included in all designs.

5. How do I install a reverse siphon break?

The installation of a reverse siphon break may vary depending on the specific system and equipment being used. However, in general, it should be placed at the highest point of the siphon, with the inlet and outlet pipes connected to it. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and ensure that the siphon break is securely attached to avoid any potential leaks.