Help with simple resistor problem

• Thread starter Mr. Hiyasaki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistor
In summary: However, if you want to be extra sure, you could add a resistor in between R1 and R2 to provide a little more accuracy.
Mr. Hiyasaki

SEE POST 4

I am having problems solving these resistor problems and was wondering if anyone could help. Really what I think my problem is is that i don't know what to do if there are series and parallel resistors on the same circuit

For attachment three The resistance of the entire circuit and RL are supposed to be equal to each other and then you are wanting to find the resistance of R to make that true. The actual problem used RAB = RL = 625. ohms. and you are supposed to get 361 for R, but my numbers are all over the board and i can't hit that, because i don't know what to do with the resistor inbetween the 2 parallel resistors.

then for attachment 6.jpg if i know the voltage of the circuit and the ohms of the resistors i am supposed to find the current.
In the practice problem i am trying to find out my numbers are
If the resistances R1= 44. ohms, R2 = 14. ohms, and R3 = 26. ohms, and the voltage V = 6.0 volts, what is the current ix (in Amperes) in the circuit.

The answer i am given is 4A, but i keep coming up with .11

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 423
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
In your first circuit, begin by combining resistances.

Notice that RL is in series with the R above it. Combine those into one resistor, R + RL. Redraw the entire circuit, this time with only one resistor where there once was two, if it'll help you understand.

Next, notice that the combined (R + RL) resistor is in parallel with the middle R. You can combine those as:

[tex]\frac{1}{\frac{1}{R} + \frac{1}{R + R_L}}[/tex]

Next, notice that that combination itself is in series with the final R...

In this way, you'll combine all the resistances into one equation, which you can then solve for R.

- Warren

The second problem is done the same way. Combine parallel and series resistors until you have the equivalent resistance of the entire circuit, then calculate the total current with Ohm's law. Next, since you know all that current is flowing through R1, you know the voltage drop across R1. Next, since you know the voltage drop across R3, you know the current through R3.

- Warren

thanks a whole lot, i think i am starting to understand this stuff. I wish the problems were a little simplier then worked their way up, but I don't have that choice. THank again for the help.

I have two more questions if someone wouldn't mind helping me out a bit with these as well

For the first one, I am supposed to find Vx. And I don't really understand it at all.

Then the second one (attach 9.jpg) I am supposed to find the error in measuring the current flowing through r1 with an ammeter with internal reistanc of .1 ohms. Would adding the resistance of .1 ohms to r2 as a series, then caculate the total resistance and find the current, and then subtact that from the current of the circuit without the ammeter be correct?

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 428
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 442
Mr. Hiyasaki said:
thanks a whole lot, i think i am starting to understand this stuff. I wish the problems were a little simplier then worked their way up, but I don't have that choice. THank again for the help.

I have two more questions if someone wouldn't mind helping me out a bit with these as well

For the first one, I am supposed to find Vx. And I don't really understand it at all.

Then the second one (attach 9.jpg) I am supposed to find the error in measuring the current flowing through r1 with an ammeter with internal reistanc of .1 ohms. Would adding the resistance of .1 ohms to r2 as a series, then caculate the total resistance and find the current, and then subtact that from the current of the circuit without the ammeter be correct?

The resistors R1 and R2 are in series and so are R3 and R4. You can calculate the currents through each series connection. Knowing the currents, you can calculate the voltage drops in R2 and R4 and finally Vx.
For the second circuit your approach is correct.

1. What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electronic component that is used to limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is typically made of a material that is resistant to the flow of electricity, such as carbon or metal.

2. How do I calculate the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current. This can be represented by the equation R=V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current.

3. How do I read the color bands on a resistor?

Resistors are often color-coded to indicate their resistance value. There are typically four or five colored bands on a resistor, and each color represents a different number. You can use a color code chart to interpret the colors and determine the resistance value.

4. What is the purpose of a resistor in a circuit?

Resistors are used in circuits for various reasons, including controlling the amount of current flowing through the circuit, dividing voltage, and limiting the amount of power dissipated in a circuit. They are also used to protect other components in a circuit from damage.

5. How do I choose the right resistor for my circuit?

The resistance value of a resistor is measured in ohms and is typically labeled on the component. To choose the right resistor for your circuit, you will need to know the required resistance value, the power rating, and the tolerance (which indicates how close the actual resistance may be to the stated value). You can also consult a resistor color code chart to select the correct resistor based on its color bands.