Help with Solid of Revolution/Partial Fraction Decompisition Question

In summary: You have ##1=A(x+2)(x+3)^2 + B(x+3)^2 + C(x+2)^2(x+3) +D(x+2)^2##. It's pretty easy to see the coefficient of ##x^3## on the right side is ##A+C## and you have ##0x^3## on the left so ##A+C = 0##.
student93

Homework Statement

Question is attached in this post.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Disk Method with the radius equal to 1/(x^2+5x+6)

∫A/(x+2) + B/(x+2)^2 + C/(x+3) + D/(x+3)^2 from 0 to 3

I've used algebra to solve for both B and D, both of which are equal to 1, but can't seem to be able to solve for the values of A and C.

The answer to the question is 2π(5ln2 - 2ln5)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-02-24 at 12.40.39 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-02-24 at 12.40.39 PM.png
    11 KB · Views: 495
Physics news on Phys.org
student93 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Disk Method with the radius equal to 1/(x^2+5x+6)

∫A/(x+2) + B/(x+2)^2 + C/(x+3) + D/(x+3)^2 from 0 to 3

I've used algebra to solve for both B and D, both of which are equal to 1, but can't seem to be able to solve for the values of A and C.

The answer to the question is 2π(5ln2 - 2ln5)

Your values for B and D are correct. How can we help you find your mistake if you don't show your work?

LCKurtz said:
Your values for B and D are correct. How can we help you find your mistake if you don't show your work?

1=A(x+2)(x+3)^2 + B(x+3)^2 + C(x+2)^2(x+3) +D(x+2)^2

I first let x=-3, and was able to get D=1

Next I let x=-2 and was able to get B=1

However, I can't seem use this method to get the values of either A or C.

student93 said:
1=A(x+2)(x+3)^2 + B(x+3)^2 + C(x+2)^2(x+3) +D(x+2)^2

I first let x=-3, and was able to get D=1

Next I let x=-2 and was able to get B=1

However, I can't seem use this method to get the values of either A or C.

That's because [itex](x + 2)(x + 3)[/itex] vanishes when [itex]x = -3[/itex] or [itex]x = -2[/itex], so to make the coefficients of [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]C[/itex] not vanish you need to choose some other values for [itex]x[/itex].

That will leave you with two equations in two unknowns once you substitute the known values of [itex]B[/itex] and [itex]D[/itex].

Try plugging in some other values for ##x## to get more equations. Alternatively you can compare coefficients of various powers of ##x## on both sides. For example, maybe try ##x=0## or looking at the coefficient of ##x^3## on both sides.

LCKurtz said:
Try plugging in some other values for ##x## to get more equations. Alternatively you can compare coefficients of various powers of ##x## on both sides. For example, maybe try ##x=0## or looking at the coefficient of ##x^3## on both sides.

Could you clarify exactly what you mean by comparing coefficients of various powers of x on both sides?

Also, alternatively, can I use Trig Substitution instead to solve this problem?

student93 said:
Could you clarify exactly what you mean by comparing coefficients of various powers of x on both sides?

Also, alternatively, can I use Trig Substitution instead to solve this problem?

You have ##1=A(x+2)(x+3)^2 + B(x+3)^2 + C(x+2)^2(x+3) +D(x+2)^2##. It's pretty easy to see the coefficient of ##x^3## on the right side is ##A+C## and you have ##0x^3## on the left so ##A+C = 0##.

I don't see how trig substitution would be useful nor why you would want to try it.

1. What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional object created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. One common example is a sphere, which is formed by rotating a circle around its diameter.

2. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used to break down a rational function into simpler fractions. This is often useful in integration and other mathematical calculations.

3. How do I find the volume of a solid of revolution?

To find the volume of a solid of revolution, you can use the formula V = π∫(R(x))^2dx, where R(x) is the radius of the cross-section at any given point and the integral is taken over the desired interval. You can also use the disk or shell methods, depending on the shape of the solid.

4. How do I perform partial fraction decomposition?

To perform partial fraction decomposition, you need to factor the denominator of the rational function and write it as a sum of simpler fractions with undetermined coefficients. Then, you can solve for the coefficients using algebraic methods or by setting up a system of equations.

5. What are some real-life applications of solids of revolution and partial fraction decomposition?

Solids of revolution have many practical applications, such as in engineering and architecture for creating objects with rotational symmetry. Partial fraction decomposition is commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics, and also has applications in signal processing and control systems.