1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Solid of Revolution/Partial Fraction Decompisition Question

1. Feb 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question is attached in this post.

2. Relevant equations

Question is attached in this post.

3. The attempt at a solution

Disk Method with the radius equal to 1/(x^2+5x+6)

∫A/(x+2) + B/(x+2)^2 + C/(x+3) + D/(x+3)^2 from 0 to 3

I've used algebra to solve for both B and D, both of which are equal to 1, but can't seem to be able to solve for the values of A and C.

The answer to the question is 2π(5ln2 - 2ln5)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your values for B and D are correct. How can we help you find your mistake if you don't show your work?

4. Feb 24, 2014 #3
    1=A(x+2)(x+3)^2 + B(x+3)^2 + C(x+2)^2(x+3) +D(x+2)^2

I first let x=-3, and was able to get D=1

Next I let x=-2 and was able to get B=1

However, I can't seem use this method to get the values of either A or C.

5. Feb 24, 2014 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

That's because [itex](x + 2)(x + 3)[/itex] vanishes when [itex]x = -3[/itex] or [itex]x = -2[/itex], so to make the coefficients of [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]C[/itex] not vanish you need to choose some other values for [itex]x[/itex].

That will leave you with two equations in two unknowns once you substitute the known values of [itex]B[/itex] and [itex]D[/itex].

6. Feb 24, 2014 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try plugging in some other values for ##x## to get more equations. Alternatively you can compare coefficients of various powers of ##x## on both sides. For example, maybe try ##x=0## or looking at the coefficient of ##x^3## on both sides.

7. Feb 24, 2014 #6
    Could you clarify exactly what you mean by comparing coefficients of various powers of x on both sides?

Also, alternatively, can I use Trig Substitution instead to solve this problem?

8. Feb 24, 2014 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have ##1=A(x+2)(x+3)^2 + B(x+3)^2 + C(x+2)^2(x+3) +D(x+2)^2##. It's pretty easy to see the coefficient of ##x^3## on the right side is ##A+C## and you have ##0x^3## on the left so ##A+C = 0##.

I don't see how trig substitution would be useful nor why you would want to try it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted