Help with some Resistance Questions

• Thread starter Hollysmoke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the conversation was about a lab on electricity and solving a series of questions. The first question was about determining the R value of a resistor using 4 m of copper wire with a thickness that is 1/3 the one used in the lab. The second question was about finding the ratio of the diameter of thick and thin nichrome wire. The third question was about determining the resistivity of copper using the resistivity of nichrome. The conversation ended with the person understanding how to solve the problems.
Hollysmoke
Okay we just start electricity in class and almost instantly we got a small lab. I did part of it, but I am having trouble with some of the questions and have no idea where to start from.

The first question is Determine the R value of a resistor that uses 4 m. of copper wire with a thickness of 1/3x the one used in the lab.
Now I have to find the ratio, but how? Also the resistor board used is 1 meter. I'm not sure, but would it be
R2= Resisitivity x 4 m. / Pie (4r)^2

R1= Resistivity x 1 meter / Pie r^2

How do I find the ratio?

2nd question was "Determine how much wider the diameter of the thick nichrome wire is in comparison to the thin nichrome wire".
How would I start such a question?

3rd question was "If the resistivity of nichrome is 100x10^-8 ohms/meter, determine the resistivity of copper"
How would I start to solve this question also?

Thanks (I'm not looking for an answer, Just how to start solving it)

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you find the ratio? I'm sorry but I don't quite understand your problem. You seem to know all the parameters. What is the problem? If the thickness is an issue then the thickness refers to the diameter (twice the radius). And you have used

[tex]R = \rho\frac{L}{A}[/tex]

so where are you stuck?

Cheers
Vivek

Doesn't matter, I figured it out and I got it right ^^

ummm can u please temme how u did it?? haven't done electricity for a while now and can't seem to remember how to do it.. what is the value of RHO ( the P symbol ) in this case??

thanks

Last edited:
okay so we have the resistance of the copper from the lab, which we use

R1=P x L / A
Then we have the changes, which is 4x length and 1/3 the thickness. So, since we want the value of the resistor, we do:

R2=P x 4L / pie (1/3r^)2 <--- this is pie r^2 because the wire is circular

Since the resistance of the wire was 0.4 ohms (I'm doing this all off by memory BTW because I handed in my lab) then all we have to do is find the ratio. Since we have 1/3 in the brackets, we square to get 1/9, then the ratio is 4 / 1/9, which is 1/36. So 0.4 x 1/36 = 1.1 x 10^-2 ohms.

What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is determined by the material, length, and cross-sectional area of a conductor.

What factors affect resistance?

The factors that affect resistance are the material of the conductor, its length, and its cross-sectional area. Other factors that can also impact resistance include temperature and the presence of impurities or defects in the conductor.

How can I calculate resistance?

Resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). In equation form, this is expressed as R=V/I. Additionally, resistance can also be calculated using the formula R=ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the conductor, and A is the cross-sectional area.

What is the difference between resistance and impedance?

Resistance and impedance are both measures of opposition to the flow of electric current. The main difference between the two is that resistance is a measure of opposition to direct current (DC) while impedance is a measure of opposition to alternating current (AC). Impedance also takes into account the effects of capacitance and inductance in a circuit, while resistance does not.

How can I reduce resistance in a circuit?

There are a few ways to reduce resistance in a circuit. One way is to use materials with lower resistivity, such as copper or silver, as conductors. Another way is to increase the diameter of the conductor, which decreases its resistance. Additionally, keeping the conductor's length as short as possible can also reduce resistance. Lastly, maintaining proper temperature and minimizing impurities can also help reduce resistance in a circuit.