Can you help with these sound wave problems?

In summary, the first problem involves finding the velocity of the car based on the frequency change of its horn as heard by a bicyclist moving in the same direction. Using an equation with the frequencies and velocities, we can determine that the car is moving at a speed of 31m/s and the bicyclist is behind the car.The second problem involves finding the speed of a train based on the frequency change of its whistle. Using a similar equation and solving for the velocity, we get a speed of 13m/s.For the last problem, we can use the concept of beat frequency to determine the possible frequencies of the second tuning fork based on the given frequency of the first one.
lavafrog
Help With Sound Wave Problems!

Hi...I'm studying for a test on soundwaves tomorrow, and I have questions on a few problems my teacher never reviewed. I'd appreciate it if someone could even answer one of them. Thanks!

1) At rest, a car's horn sounds the note A (440Hz). The horn is sounded while the car is moving down the street. A bicyclist moving in the same direction with one third the car's speed hears a frequency of 415. How fast is the car moving? Is the bicyclist ahead of or behind the car? T=20C. (Based on the fact that the biker hears a lower frequency than the actual frequency, I've determined that he's behind the car.)

I've found the velocity of sound in these conditions to be 343m/s. Then I used this equation: (f'=frequency heard, f=actual frequency, v=velocity of sound in air, vo=velocity of observer, vs=velocity of the source, or car, +/- is used because it's - on top and + on bottom when the source is going away from you, and + on top and - on bottom when it's coming towards you.)

f'=f(v+/-vo/v+/-vs)

415Hz=440Hz(343m/s-(1/3)vs/343m/s+vs) (Sorry I can't write it out any neater than that, but I don't know how to use the right symbols.)

When I solve the equation for vs, I get 15.35m/s, but the answer is supposed to be 31m/s! Why am I off by a factor of two?

2) The frequency of a steam train whistle as it approaches you is 522Hz. After it passes you, it's 486Hz. How fast was the train moving? (assume constant velocity.)

522-486=36, 36/2=18.
486+18=504Hz. when right in front of you.

522Hz=504Hz(340m/s+0m/s/340m/s-Xm/s) When I solved for x, I got 13m/s. Is this the right answer?

One more I can't even start working on:

Two tuning forks are held near each other and a beat frequency of 6Hz is percieved. if one fork has a f=512Hz, what frequencies are possible for the other?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lavafrog said:
Hi...I'm studying for a test on soundwaves tomorrow, and I have questions on a few problems my teacher never reviewed. I'd appreciate it if someone could even answer one of them. Thanks!

1) At rest, a car's horn sounds the note A (440Hz). The horn is sounded while the car is moving down the street. A bicyclist moving in the same direction with one third the car's speed hears a frequency of 415. How fast is the car moving? Is the bicyclist ahead of or behind the car? T=20C. (Based on the fact that the biker hears a lower frequency than the actual frequency, I've determined that he's behind the car.)

I've found the velocity of sound in these conditions to be 343m/s. Then I used this equation: (f'=frequency heard, f=actual frequency, v=velocity of sound in air, vo=velocity of observer, vs=velocity of the source, or car, +/- is used because it's - on top and + on bottom when the source is going away from you, and + on top and - on bottom when it's coming towards you.)

f'=f(v+/-vo/v+/-vs)

415Hz=440Hz(343m/s-(1/3)vs/343m/s+vs) (Sorry I can't write it out any neater than that, but I don't know how to use the right symbols.)

When I solve the equation for vs, I get 15.35m/s, but the answer is supposed to be 31m/s! Why am I off by a factor of two?

2) The frequency of a steam train whistle as it approaches you is 522Hz. After it passes you, it's 486Hz. How fast was the train moving? (assume constant velocity.)

522-486=36, 36/2=18.
486+18=504Hz. when right in front of you.

522Hz=504Hz(340m/s+0m/s/340m/s-Xm/s) When I solved for x, I got 13m/s. Is this the right answer?

One more I can't even start working on:

Two tuning forks are held near each other and a beat frequency of 6Hz is percieved. if one fork has a f=512Hz, what frequencies are possible for the other?

To get you started on the last one, consider the following case:

If 1 tuning fork has a frequency of 5 hz and a second one has a tuning frequency of 8 hz, then you would hear a beat frequency of 3 hz. So, the beat frequency is related to the difference of each of the individual frequencies. Likewise if a 5 hz tuning fork and a 2 hz truning fork were placed near each other, you would also hear a beat freuency of 3 hz.

lavafrog said:

f'=f(v+/-vo/v+/-vs)

the bike is behind the car (since tje frequency heard is lower) So your sign in the numerator shoudl be a + not a minus.

The bike encounters 415 waves/s, as it moves into the waves;
so the wavelength in the air must be
lambda = (v_sound + v_bike)/415 [wave/s] .
The waves emitted at the car were stretched by the car motion, to be
lambda = (v_sound + v_car)/440 [wave/s]

OK, I understand that my biker is moving towards the source, so the top should have a +. But then for the bottom, is it + because my source is moving away from my observer? (I know it's +, I just want to make sure that's the right reason.)

abercrombiems02--Thanks!

Related to Can you help with these sound wave problems?

1. What are sound waves?

Sound waves are a type of mechanical wave that travels through a medium, such as air or water. These waves are created by vibrating objects and they carry energy from one place to another.

2. How do sound waves travel?

Sound waves travel in a longitudinal motion, meaning that the particles of the medium vibrate back and forth in the same direction that the wave is traveling. This allows the wave to transfer energy from one particle to the next.

3. What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound depends on the medium through which it is traveling. In dry air at room temperature, sound travels at approximately 343 meters per second. However, the speed can vary depending on factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude.

4. What is frequency?

Frequency is the number of complete waves that pass a certain point in one second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is directly related to the pitch of a sound. Higher frequencies correspond to higher pitches, while lower frequencies correspond to lower pitches.

5. How do I calculate the wavelength of a sound wave?

The wavelength of a sound wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of sound by the frequency of the wave. This can be represented by the formula: wavelength (λ) = speed of sound (v) / frequency (f). The unit of measurement for wavelength is meters (m).