Help with thermodynamics -- work of Carnot engine expansion

In summary: Yes, that is correct.In summary, the attempt at a solution was to calculate the work during the isentropic expansion (2-3). The change in internal energy from 1-3 is the same as the change in internal energy from 2-3, so the work from 2-3 (adiabatic expansion) needs to be calculated independently. The work from 2-3 (adiabatic expansion) is still equal to the negative of the change in internal energy, because the heat input is zero.
nate9519

Homework Statement

I don't need help solving I just need some clarification. Since the carnot cycle is adiabatic, the first law would reduce to work= mass*(change in internal energy). On my test I was asked to calculate the work of the isentropic expansion of a carnot engine with air as the working fluid. I got confused and calculated from step 1-3( isothermal expansion and isentropic expansion) instead of 2-3( just isentropic expansion.) But since step 1-2 is isothermal would that mean the change in internal energy from 1-3 is the same as 2-3 meaning I would still have gotten the right answer

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Science news on Phys.org
nate9519 said:

Homework Statement

I don't need help solving I just need some clarification. Since the carnot cycle is adiabatic, the first law would reduce to work= mass*(change in internal energy). On my test I was asked to calculate the work of the isentropic expansion of a carnot engine with air as the working fluid. I got confused and calculated from step 1-3( isothermal expansion and isentropic expansion) instead of 2-3( just isentropic expansion.) But since step 1-2 is isothermal would that mean the change in internal energy from 1-3 is the same as 2-3 meaning I would still have gotten the right answer

Homework Equations

Sure.

nate9519 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I need some clarification of the steps involved here. You were asked to calculate the Work during the isentropic expansion (2 - 3). You are saying the change in internal energy from 1 - 3 is the same as the change in internal energy from 2 - 3. I agree with your statement, but how is it related to the work? Your statement: "Since the carnot cycle is adiabatic, the first law would reduce to work= mass*(change in internal energy)." is very confusing. Are you talking about the entire Carnot cycle (1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1)? The entire cycle is not adiabatic, and the total change in internal energy for the entire cycle is zero, and that is not related to the work done.

sorry for confusion. No I didn't mean the entire cycle is adiabatic. I meant from 2-3. My book uses a piston cylinder to demonstrate the carnot cycle and since that is a closed system I thought the first law reduces to mass*(change in internal energy) for the work from 2-3

OK. So the work from 2-3 (adiabatic expansion) needs to be calculated independently. It is still equal to the negative of the change in internal energy, because the heat input is zero.

yes and that would give you an answer in kilojoules per unit mass. But the problem stated that the working fluid was 15kg of air so if I multiplied delta u by 15kg to get the answer in kJ that would be correct as well, right?

Make sure that the internal energy is calculated in the same units. Both the quantities, change in internal energy and work must come out in kJ.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that studies the relationship between heat, energy, and work, and how they are transferred between systems.

2. What is the Carnot engine?

The Carnot engine is a theoretical heat engine that operates on the Carnot cycle, which is the most efficient cycle possible for a heat engine. It consists of two isothermal processes and two adiabatic processes.

3. How does a Carnot engine expansion work?

A Carnot engine expansion works by taking in heat energy from a high-temperature source, converting some of it into work, and then releasing the remaining heat energy to a lower-temperature sink. This process is repeated in a cyclical manner to produce continuous work.

4. What is the efficiency of a Carnot engine expansion?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine expansion is determined by the temperature difference between the high-temperature source and the low-temperature sink. It is given by the equation: efficiency = (T1 - T2)/T1, where T1 is the temperature of the high-temperature source and T2 is the temperature of the low-temperature sink.

5. How does a Carnot engine expansion compare to other heat engines?

A Carnot engine expansion is the most efficient heat engine, as it operates on the Carnot cycle, which is the most efficient cycle possible. Other real-life heat engines, such as steam engines and internal combustion engines, have lower efficiencies due to factors such as friction and heat loss.