Find Distance and Bearing from City A to C | Plane Navigation Problem

In summary, the distance from city A to city C is 1220.671 miles, and the bearing from city A to city C is N 48° E.
Phyzwizz
Problem
Distance:
From city A to city B, a plane flies 650 miles at a bearing of N 48° E. From city B to city C, the plane flies 810 miles at a bearing of S 65° E. Find the distance from A to C and the bearing from A to C.

Work so far
So far I've gotten the distance from A to C already, but I'm having trouble figuring out what to do, to find the bearing. Its sort of difficult to show what I did to get the sides because it involves drawing a series of other triangles and finding the lengths of some of their sides and adding them in some places and subtracting in others. But the tactic I took in solving for the length was setting A to (0,0) and attempting to find the x and y coordinates for C separately.

What I got for the distance from A to C is, AC≈ 1220.671.

Thanks, I hope someone can help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you get for the coordinates of C? Just draw one right triangle with hypotenuse AC.

The bearing is just the angle at A between North and AC. In the right angled triangle with AC the hypotenuse, you know two lengths, so you can use trig ratios to find the angle.

The coordinates I got for C are...

X - ≈1217.153 came from (650cos 42°)+(810cos 25°)

Y - ≈140.723 came from (650sin 42°)-(810sin 25°)

Oh, thanks Vertigo, I guess I just need to think about the problem a little more next time. That really is pretty simple.

I just do sin θ = opp/hyp and then I can switch it and make it arcsin opp/hyp= θ right?

θ=theta
opp= opposite
hyp= hypotenuse

Last edited:
Phyzwizz said:
Oh, thanks Vertigo, I guess I just need to think about the problem a little more next time.

That's okay, I'm sure you'll find these questions quite easy from now on. And I'm sure you'll learn soon in class more about arcsin and quadrants and such.

1. What is a bearing and trig problem?

A bearing and trig problem involves using trigonometric functions and bearings to solve a mathematical problem related to direction and distance. It is commonly used in navigation, surveying, and engineering.

2. How do I solve a bearing and trig problem?

To solve a bearing and trig problem, you will need to understand the concept of bearings and how to use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. Then, you can use these functions to calculate the unknown distances or angles in the problem.

3. What are some common applications of bearing and trig problems?

Bearing and trig problems are used in various fields such as navigation, surveying, engineering, and astronomy. They can also be used in everyday situations, such as finding the direction and distance between two points on a map.

4. What are some tips for solving bearing and trig problems?

One tip for solving bearing and trig problems is to draw a diagram to visualize the problem. This can help you understand the given information and determine which trigonometric function to use. It is also important to pay attention to units and convert them if necessary.

5. Are there any online resources for help with bearing and trig problems?

Yes, there are many online resources available for help with bearing and trig problems. Some websites offer step-by-step tutorials and practice problems, while others have forums where you can ask for help from experts or other students. You can also find videos and worksheets on this topic on educational websites and YouTube channels.