Balancing Chemical Equations: How Much HCl is Consumed By 3.54 Mol of Mg?

• Thread starter HelloMotto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, to balance a chemical equation, you must ensure that the number of atoms of each element on the left side of the equation is equal to the number of atoms on the right side. This can be achieved by adding coefficients in front of the chemical formulas. Remember to always balance the most complex molecules first and check your work by counting the number of atoms on each side. An element is a pure substance that cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical means, while a compound is a substance made up of two or more different elements chemically bonded together. Molar mass is calculated by adding together the atomic masses of each element in a compound, taking into account the number of atoms of each element. The ideal gas law is a mathematical
HelloMotto
help with this chem question please!

Homework Statement

One reaction that produces hydrogen gas can
be represented by the unbalanced chemical
equation:

Mg(s) + HCl(aq) --> MgCl2(aq) + H2(g)

What mass of HCl is consumed by the reac-
tion of 3.54 mol of magnesium? Answer in
units of g.

is the answer 10.6 g?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you balance the equation?

yes i did

i know the equation i posted is unbalanced, but when i did the calculation i balanced it first.

So show us how you did it...

Related to Balancing Chemical Equations: How Much HCl is Consumed By 3.54 Mol of Mg?

1. How do I balance chemical equations?

To balance a chemical equation, you must ensure that the number of atoms of each element on the left side of the equation is equal to the number of atoms on the right side. This can be achieved by adding coefficients in front of the chemical formulas. Remember to always balance the most complex molecules first and check your work by counting the number of atoms on each side.

2. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance that cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical means. It is made up of only one type of atom. On the other hand, a compound is a substance made up of two or more different elements chemically bonded together. Compounds have different properties than their individual elements.

3. How do I calculate molar mass?

Molar mass is calculated by adding together the atomic masses of each element in a compound. This can be found on the periodic table. Make sure to take into account the number of atoms of each element in the compound. The unit for molar mass is grams per mole (g/mol).

4. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure (in atm), V is volume (in liters), n is number of moles, R is the gas constant (0.0821 L atm/mol K), and T is temperature (in Kelvin).

5. How do I convert between units in chemistry?

To convert between units in chemistry, you can use dimensional analysis. This involves setting up a conversion factor using known equivalences. For example, to convert from grams to moles, you would use the conversion factor of molar mass (g/mol). It is important to pay attention to units and cancel out any units that appear on both sides of the conversion factor.