Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with upgrading notebook hard drive.

1. Apr 9, 2009 #1
    I need to replace my hard drive. The recommendation is: ATA/100 5400 RPM 9.5mm.

I see a lot of faster drive 7200rpm but they are SATA. Is it true I can put this in also because they connector should be compatable. I just need to get 9.5mm or smaller and it would be fine?

What is the different between ATA, SATA etc? Is it true that 100 is 100meg bits per second. So if I get 300, it is ok also.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm fairly sure that's not true. ATA and SATA, at least in PC's, use different connectors completely and one wouldn't ever be able to work with another. I don't see why it would be any different with laptops unfortunately.

ATA-100 uses a 100megaBYTE/second interface while SATA uses 300/600/1200 or something of that nature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Technology_Attachment might be of more help.

4. Apr 9, 2009 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

5. Apr 9, 2009 #4
    Stick with the PATA drive for that machine. You will spend more money trying to find a conversion kit to change the drive connectors (if one is even available) than it is worth. The machine is older so it is doubtfull you will see much of a difference anyway.

6. Apr 10, 2009 #5
    Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook