HelpResting membrane potential, hyperpolrization ?

In summary, resting membrane potential is the electric potential difference between the inside and outside of a cell at rest, maintained by the unequal distribution of ions. It can be measured through electrophysiology and is influenced by ion concentration, membrane permeability, and ion channels and pumps. Hyperpolarization is a change in membrane potential where the inside of the cell becomes more negative, and it can affect cell function by decreasing or increasing excitability and regulating cellular processes.
lillia~
hi

i was wondering if you could help me answering this question please ..

"compare between forces that involved in the K+ channel during resting membrane potential and hyperpolrization" ?

I'm sorry but i need to know the answer ASAP ..

:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi lillia~

We have a homework forum, you should provide us with the following information:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sure, I'd be happy to help answer your question! The resting membrane potential is the electrical charge difference across the cell membrane when a neuron is not actively sending signals. This potential is maintained by the balance of positively charged potassium ions (K+) inside the cell and negatively charged ions outside the cell. This balance is maintained by two main forces: diffusion and electrostatic forces.

Diffusion refers to the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. In the case of the resting membrane potential, K+ ions tend to diffuse out of the cell due to their higher concentration inside the cell. However, this diffusion is counteracted by the electrostatic force, which is the attraction between opposite charges. Since K+ ions are positively charged, they are attracted to the negatively charged ions outside the cell, preventing them from diffusing out.

During hyperpolarization, the membrane potential becomes even more negative than the resting potential. This is caused by an increase in the outflow of K+ ions, which makes the inside of the cell even more negatively charged. This is due to the opening of additional K+ channels in the cell membrane, allowing more K+ ions to leave the cell. The forces involved in this process are the same as those in the resting membrane potential - diffusion and electrostatic forces.

I hope this helps to clarify the comparison between the forces involved in the K+ channel during resting membrane potential and hyperpolarization. Let me know if you have any other questions or need further clarification. Good luck!

1. What is resting membrane potential?

The resting membrane potential is the electric potential difference between the inside and outside of a cell at rest. This potential is maintained by the unequal distribution of ions across the cell membrane.

2. How is resting membrane potential measured?

Resting membrane potential can be measured using a technique called electrophysiology, which involves inserting an electrode into the cell and recording the electrical activity.

3. What factors influence resting membrane potential?

The resting membrane potential is influenced by the concentration of ions inside and outside of the cell, the permeability of the cell membrane to different ions, and the activity of ion channels and pumps.

4. What is hyperpolarization?

Hyperpolarization is a change in the membrane potential where the inside of the cell becomes more negative than the resting potential. This can occur when there is an increase in the permeability of the cell membrane to ions such as chloride or potassium.

5. How does hyperpolarization affect cell function?

Hyperpolarization can have various effects on cell function, depending on the type of cell. In some cells, it can make the cell less excitable, while in others it can increase the likelihood of firing an action potential. It can also play a role in regulating cellular processes such as neurotransmitter release and hormone secretion.