Finding Eigenvalues and Wave Function in a Basis of Orthonormalized Vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the eigenvalues and corresponding energies of the Hamiltonian in the basis of the orthonormalized vectors |v1>, |v2>, and |v3>. The question also asks for the calculation of the Hamiltonian in the |1>, |2>, and |3> basis. The solution involves finding the linear combinations of |v1>, |v2>, and |v3> and using them to calculate the Hamiltonian in the desired basis.
Lolek2322

Homework Statement

Eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian with corresponding energies are:
Iv1>=(I1>+I2>+I3>)/31/2 E1=α + 2β
Iv2>=(I1>-I3>) /21/2 E2=α-β
Iv3>= (2I2> - I1> I3>)/61/2 E3=α-β

Write the matrix of the Hamiltonian in the basis of the orthonormalized vectors I1>, I2>, I3>

If in t=0, system is in the state I1>, what is the wave function in t?

Homework Equations

Hij = <ilHlj>

The Attempt at a Solution

Although I know that energy is the eigenvalue of the Hermitian operator, I am not sure how to incorporate that in this certain problem. I have used mentioned equation for previous problems, but I always had the form of the operator. With only eigenvectors and eigenvalues I am stuck and don't even know how to begin solving this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There seems to be a part of the question that is missing. Can you write it out fully?

DrClaude said:
There seems to be a part of the question that is missing. Can you write it out fully?
I appologize. I have written it now

One way to go about this is to start by writing the Hamiltonian in the |v1>, |v2>, |v3> basis, then applying the proper transformation operation to "rotate" the Hamiltonian to the |1>, |2>, |3> basis.

But unfortunately I do not know how to do that

The straightforward way to do it is
1. Find |1>, |2> and |3> as linear combinations of |v1>, |v2> and |v3> and verify that they are orthonormal.
2. Note that H|v1> = (α + 2β) |1> and get similar expressions for H operating on the other two v's.
3. Calculate things like < 1 | H | 2 > using the linear combinations from item 1 and substituting from item 2.

1. What is a Hermitian operator matrix?

A Hermitian operator matrix is a square matrix that is equal to its own conjugate transpose. In other words, the matrix is equal to its own complex conjugate when the rows and columns are swapped.

2. What makes a matrix Hermitian?

A matrix is Hermitian if it is equal to its own conjugate transpose. This means that the matrix must be square and that its complex conjugate must be obtained by swapping the rows and columns of the original matrix.

3. How is a Hermitian operator matrix used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, Hermitian operators are used to represent physical observables, such as position and momentum. The eigenvalues of a Hermitian operator correspond to the possible outcomes of a measurement of the associated observable.

4. What are the properties of a Hermitian operator matrix?

Some properties of a Hermitian operator matrix include:

• The matrix is always square.
  • All eigenvalues are real numbers.
  • The eigenvectors of distinct eigenvalues are orthogonal.
  • The matrix is self-adjoint.

5. How is a Hermitian operator matrix different from a normal matrix?

A normal matrix is a matrix that commutes with its own conjugate transpose, while a Hermitian operator matrix is equal to its own conjugate transpose. This means that all Hermitian operator matrices are also normal, but not all normal matrices are Hermitian. Additionally, all eigenvalues of a Hermitian operator matrix are real, while a normal matrix may have complex eigenvalues.