1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hermitian operator matrix

1. Aug 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian with corresponding energies are:
    Iv1>=(I1>+I2>+I3>)/31/2 E1=α + 2β
    Iv2>=(I1>-I3>) /21/2 E2=α-β
    Iv3>= (2I2> - I1> I3>)/61/2 E3=α-β

Write the matrix of the Hamiltonian in the basis of the orthonormalized vectors I1>, I2>, I3>

If in t=0, system is in the state I1>, what is the wave function in t?

2. Relevant equations
    Hij = <ilHlj>

3. The attempt at a solution
    Although I know that energy is the eigenvalue of the Hermitian operator, I am not sure how to incorporate that in this certain problem. I have used mentioned equation for previous problems, but I always had the form of the operator. With only eigenvectors and eigenvalues I am stuck and don't even know how to begin solving this.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

There seems to be a part of the question that is missing. Can you write it out fully?

4. Aug 30, 2016 #3
    I appologize. I have written it now

5. Sep 1, 2016 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

One way to go about this is to start by writing the Hamiltonian in the |v1>, |v2>, |v3> basis, then applying the proper transformation operation to "rotate" the Hamiltonian to the |1>, |2>, |3> basis.

6. Sep 2, 2016 #5
    But unfortunately I do not know how to do that

7. Sep 8, 2016 #6

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The straightforward way to do it is
    1. Find |1>, |2> and |3> as linear combinations of |v1>, |v2> and |v3> and verify that they are orthonormal.
    2. Note that H|v1> = (α + 2β) |1> and get similar expressions for H operating on the other two v's.
    3. Calculate things like < 1 | H | 2 > using the linear combinations from item 1 and substituting from item 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted