Solving Hess's Law Problem for ΔH of Formation of Hematite

• Thread starter ice87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the Enthalpy of formation for hematite at 1200K using integration and Hess's Law. There is confusion about whether the enthalpy of formation at 298K should be added to the number found through integration. The expert clarifies that the enthalpy of formation is the enthalpy change when the compound is formed from the elements at their standard states at the same temperature, and what has been calculated is the difference in enthalpy between hematite at 298 and 1200.
ice87
So I'm taking Thermodynamics I in university. I'm just doing the homework now, and there is something that i don't really understand.

To get the Enthalpy of formation for hematite (Fe2O3) at 1200K, I first integrated the constant pressure heat capacity function over the temperature range from 298K to 1200K, then added the heats of transformation across this temperature range. but now, at the end, should the enthalpy of formation at 298K be added to the number that i found?

=> integrating over from 298K to 1200K, and adding the heat of transformation for hematite: I got this number: 129300J/mol

=> ΔH of formation at 298K is given as -821300J/mol, should i add these two numbers together?

Physics news on Phys.org
You integrated the heat capacities of what from 298 - 1200? Hess's Law.

roughly speaking I integrated the C_p function of Fe2O3 - hematite from 298 to 1200.
I really integrated it three times, because hematite has 3 states in this temperature range, and the C_p function for each state is different.

Okay, that gives you the difference in enthalpy between hematite at 298 and 1200, right? Says nothing about absolute or standard enthalpy of formation of hematite at either temperature. Enthalpy of formation is defined as the enthalpy change when the compound is formed from the elements at their standard states at the same temperature. You are looking for the enthalpy of formation of hematite at 1200 K, the enthalpy change you would observe if you combined oxygen and iron to form hematite at 1200 K. What you have is the enthalpy change for heating hematite from 298 to 1200 and the enthalpy of formation of hematite at 298. Read the section on Hess's Law again.

1. What is Hess's Law and how does it relate to the formation of hematite?

Hess's Law states that the enthalpy change of a chemical reaction is independent of the pathway taken from reactants to products. This means that the enthalpy change for the formation of hematite can be calculated by summing the enthalpy changes of the individual reactions that make up the formation process.

2. What are the steps for solving a Hess's Law problem for ΔH of formation of hematite?

The steps for solving a Hess's Law problem for ΔH of formation of hematite are as follows:1. Identify the individual reactions that make up the formation process of hematite.2. Write balanced chemical equations for each of these reactions.3. Determine the values of ΔH for each reaction.4. Use the given values of ΔH and the stoichiometric coefficients of the reactions to calculate the overall enthalpy change for the formation of hematite.

3. How do you determine the values of ΔH for each reaction in the formation of hematite?

The values of ΔH for each reaction can be determined by using experimental data or standard enthalpy of formation values. Experimental data can be obtained through calorimetry experiments, while standard enthalpy of formation values can be found in tables or calculated using bond enthalpies.

4. Can Hess's Law be applied to reactions that involve state changes?

Yes, Hess's Law can be applied to reactions that involve state changes as long as the states of the reactants and products are the same in all the individual reactions being considered. If there are differences in states, an additional step of correcting for the enthalpy change due to the state change should be included in the calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to using Hess's Law to solve for ΔH of formation of hematite?

One limitation of using Hess's Law is that it assumes that the reactions involved are carried out under standard conditions (i.e. at 25°C and 1 atm). Any deviations from these conditions may affect the accuracy of the calculated value. Additionally, Hess's Law may not be applicable if there are significant differences in the physical states of the reactants and products in the different reactions being considered.