High school regents problem

In summary, the skier is moving forward at a constant velocity, and neglecting any opposing forces, he would need to apply 40 Newtons of force to keep him moving.
noodlesofrome
hi I am new here, but I signed up to ask this question. I was looking at a high school physics exam from last june and one of the questions seems to me like it's unfair. I think they didn't give enough information to solve the problem. here it is;

An 80-kilogram skier slides on waxed skis along a
horizontal surface of snow at constant velocity
while pushing with his poles. What is the horizontal
component of the force pushing him
forward?

(1) 0.05 N
(2) 0.4 N
(3) 40 N
(4) 4 N

The correct answer is supposedly #3, but I am really unsure why. The problem and the supplied formula tables made no mention to air resistance or friction forces that oppose his forward momentum. If the skier is already at a constant velocity and we neglect any opposing forces, we shouldn't need to apply any extra forces to keep him moving. Am I mistaken?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right, the problem seems to be missing some data. Since he's pushing with his poles, friction must be acting. (I presume that no data about the coefficient of friction was given?)

It turns out that on the official Regents reference sheet, the coefficient of kinetic friction for a waxed ski on snow is given as 0.05.

wow that was fast. thanks for your reply.

If that is the case, then I did overlook that. However I looked at the reference sheet again and I don't see it. this is the link for the pdf

http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/osa/reftable/reftablearch/physicstbl.pdf"

do you have something different?

Last edited by a moderator:
<---- feels kinda dumb

Thanks for your replies doc. I did have the wrong reference tables. I would not have noticed until now.

here is the correct link
http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/osa/reftable/reftablearch/physics06tbl.pdf

you are awsome :)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a high school regents problem?

A high school regents problem is a type of standardized test used in some states to assess students' knowledge and skills in various subjects, such as math, science, and social studies. These tests are typically taken at the end of a high school course and are required for graduation.

How many regents exams are there?

The number of regents exams varies by state, but typically there are exams in core subjects such as English, math, science, and social studies. Some states also offer regents exams in less common subjects such as foreign languages and the arts.

What is the format of a regents exam?

The format of a regents exam may vary slightly by subject, but generally it includes multiple choice questions, short answer questions, and an essay. Some exams may also include a laboratory component or a performance task, depending on the subject being tested.

How are regents exams graded?

Regents exams are typically graded on a scale of 0-100, with a score of 65 or above considered passing. Each question is assigned a certain number of points, and the total points earned are converted to a percentage score. Different states may have slightly different grading scales.

Can I retake a regents exam if I fail?

Yes, in most cases you can retake a regents exam if you fail. However, there may be limitations on how many times you can retake the exam and when you can retake it. It is important to check with your state's education department for specific policies and procedures regarding retaking regents exams.