1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High Vacuum Systems

1. Dec 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm doing a project where I have to design a high vacuum system (just on paper).

I think I've figured out how all the parts hook up together, but I'm not sure how to operate the vacuum.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I have a chamber connected to an oil diffusion pump. The chamber has an ionization gauge in it for measuring the pressure, and it has a vent valve.

Then there are supposed to be two valves in the connection between my chamber and my foreline trap. I don't understand why, can anyone explain?

My foreline trap has a thermocouple gauge in it and it is connected to a rotary pump.

So to make this thing work, what valves need to be open and closed? I think the vent valve needs to be opened to bring the pump to atmospheric pressure, then closed. Then I start up the oil diffusion pump? Or does the rotary pump go first? And when it's reached its lowest pressure, what valves do I open (after turning off the pumps, right?)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2009 #2
    You might try posting this down in the general engineering forum where design problems are discussed a lot.

4. Dec 20, 2009 #3
    Okay, I will. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook