Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High Voltage and measurement instruments

1. Apr 27, 2005 #1
    Hi all,
    Can anybody help me on HVs, high voltages up to 60Kv? Actually i've got this HV supply , then i came across with an old ammeter in my garage which i thought could help in showing me the exact voltage my supply is transferring but i have a poblem in matching the resistances. actually i wanna make an exact ratio of 1/(10^6). the approximate ratio of the ammeters input resistance and the supplies output resistance is 1/10^6, how can i make sure that putting a potentiometer in series or parallel can give me an exact ratio? thanks for your help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2005 #2
    Give some more details please. Any voltmeter should have a high as possible input resistance. You say you found an ammeter? Is this just a meter movement? Do you know any specs on the meter?
  4. Apr 28, 2005 #3
    i've included a picture which might help. HV is applied to an ammeter of about 300ohms input resistance (Rm) and i know that the output resistance of my supply is 10^6 times greater, (well not exactly) adding extra resistances would help give me an exact ratio of 1/10^6. how can i measure this ratio? I hope i make sense:)

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?