High Voltage and measurement instruments

In summary, Sara is seeking help with finding an exact ratio of 1/10^6 for her HV supply and an old ammeter she found in her garage. She is wondering if adding a potentiometer in series or parallel can help achieve this ratio and is looking for advice on how to measure it accurately.
sara39
Hi all,
Can anybody help me on HVs, high voltages up to 60Kv? Actually I've got this HV supply , then i came across with an old ammeter in my garage which i thought could help in showing me the exact voltage my supply is transferring but i have a poblem in matching the resistances. actually i want to make an exact ratio of 1/(10^6). the approximate ratio of the ammeters input resistance and the supplies output resistance is 1/10^6, how can i make sure that putting a potentiometer in series or parallel can give me an exact ratio? thanks for your help!
Sara

Engineering news on Phys.org
Give some more details please. Any voltmeter should have a high as possible input resistance. You say you found an ammeter? Is this just a meter movement? Do you know any specs on the meter?

Hi,
i've included a picture which might help. HV is applied to an ammeter of about 300ohms input resistance (Rm) and i know that the output resistance of my supply is 10^6 times greater, (well not exactly) adding extra resistances would help give me an exact ratio of 1/10^6. how can i measure this ratio? I hope i make sense:)

Attachments

• range.png
    range.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 403

1. What is high voltage and why is it important to measure?

High voltage is the measurement of electrical potential difference between two points. It is important to measure because it can indicate the amount of energy and power present in a circuit, as well as the potential hazards associated with working with high voltage equipment.

2. What are some common high voltage measurement instruments?

Some common high voltage measurement instruments include voltmeters, oscilloscopes, and multimeters. These instruments are specifically designed to accurately measure and display high voltage readings.

3. How do you safely measure high voltage?

To safely measure high voltage, it is important to use proper protective equipment such as gloves, goggles, and insulated tools. It is also recommended to use a voltmeter with a high voltage rating and to follow all safety precautions outlined in the instrument's manual.

4. Can high voltage be measured in both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, high voltage can be measured in both AC and DC circuits. However, the measurement methods and instruments may differ. For example, an oscilloscope is typically used to measure AC voltage, while a voltmeter is used for DC voltage.

5. What are some potential errors that can occur when measuring high voltage?

Some potential errors that can occur when measuring high voltage include incorrect range settings on the instrument, poor grounding, and external interference. It is important to carefully follow the proper measurement techniques and to regularly calibrate instruments to ensure accurate readings.