High Voltage Unipolar Sine Wave

In summary: Use a transformer. Step up to 300V and use a diode and a capacitor to get 300V DC. Then use an inverter to get the 0V to 300VAC.In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for generating a low power, high voltage sine wave with a unipolar peak to peak range of 0V to 300V and a frequency range of 10Hz to 60Hz. Suggestions include using an op-amp with a DC offset, using a transformer and a HV DC power supply, using a discrete op-amp with high voltage transistors, using a vacuum tube, and using a transformer with a diode and capacitor.
nutellaaxis
Hello!

I'm trying to generate a low power, high voltage sine wave that is unipolar (so, peak to peak ranges from 0V to 300V). Ideally, I would like the ability to vary the frequency from 10Hz to 60Hz.

Is there an ideal method of doing this?

With lower voltage I would generate my sine wave (bipolar), then use an op-amp to amplify it as desired, and also add a DC offset to make it unipolar... but I don't know of any op-amps that can handle the voltages I am interested in.

I can easily make my sine wave at low voltage, then amplify it to -150V to 150V using a transformer... but can this be offset to 0V to 300V?

or

I can generate a low power 300V DC signal... but can I make a 0V to 300V sine wave out of this?

Thanks for any advice!

Engineering news on Phys.org
nutellaaxis said:
Hello!

I'm trying to generate a low power, high voltage sine wave that is unipolar (so, peak to peak ranges from 0V to 300V). Ideally, I would like the ability to vary the frequency from 10Hz to 60Hz.

Is there an ideal method of doing this?

With lower voltage I would generate my sine wave (bipolar), then use an op-amp to amplify it as desired, and also add a DC offset to make it unipolar... but I don't know of any op-amps that can handle the voltages I am interested in.

I can easily make my sine wave at low voltage, then amplify it to -150V to 150V using a transformer... but can this be offset to 0V to 300V?

or

I can generate a low power 300V DC signal... but can I make a 0V to 300V sine wave out of this?

Thanks for any advice!

Use the transformer to make the high voltage sine wave, and connect a HV DC power supply to one side of the transformer. Set the DC power supply to 1/2 of the Vpp out of the transformer...

One way would be to find a device that will work as an amplifier with a 300 volt supply.
The preferred device would probably be an insulated gate FET.

You could then use a resistive load and just take the ourput from the drain of the FET.

I have problems with using a transformer at 10 Hz, especially if it has DC current flowing in it, but you might get away with it.

Just to amplify on berkeman: connect the primary wires to your ac supply. Connect one of the secondary wires to a 150V wer supply, and use the other secondary wire as your output. Adjust the ac input to give you the drired 300V pk-pk voltage.

vk6kro said:
I have problems with using a transformer at 10 Hz, especially if it has DC current flowing in it, but you might get away with it.

Yikes. I missed the 10Hz part and tunnel-visioned on the 60Hz part. Good catch vk6kro.

It is all about money. Apex make +/-200V op-amp for long time. You use +310V and -15V supply to power up the amp and just design like a normal op-amp with offset.

I designed discrete op-amp with bi-polar transistors to drive 0 to 300V.Transformer might not work well for 10Hz. You need to design a closed loop feedback to control the amplitude and a very strong drive to drive the transformer. At the end of the day, it is going to be more complicated than designing a discrete op-amp using high voltage transistors.

It is probably a good application for a vacuum tube. These are still available and there are plenty of them that would cope with 300 to 400 volts. Look for small transmitting tubes like the 6146.

Just drive the vacuum tube from fully on to fully off with a resistive load and take the output directly from the plate.

It is all about money. Apex make +/-200V op-amp for long time. You use +310V and -15V supply to power up the amp and just design like a normal op-amp with offset.

I designed discrete op-amp with bi-polar transistors to drive 0 to 300V.

Thanks Yungman. I didn't know they had opamps with such high voltage capability

This isn't exactly a sine wave, but it does convert a 15V sine wave to a voltage that ranges between 0 volts and 300 volts at 50 kHz.

Attachments

• V300.jpg
    V300.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 640
As suggested before.

Attachments

• V300sin.jpg
    V300sin.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 549

1. What is a high voltage unipolar sine wave?

A high voltage unipolar sine wave is a type of electrical signal that has only one polarity, either positive or negative, and follows a sinusoidal pattern. It is commonly used in power transmission and distribution systems.

2. How is a high voltage unipolar sine wave generated?

A high voltage unipolar sine wave is typically generated by using a transformer to step up the voltage of a lower voltage alternating current (AC) signal. This signal is then passed through a rectifier, which converts it into a unipolar signal with a sinusoidal waveform.

3. What are the advantages of using high voltage unipolar sine waves?

High voltage unipolar sine waves have several advantages over other types of electrical signals. They have low distortion, meaning that the signal closely follows the desired sinusoidal waveform. They also have low noise and interference, making them ideal for transmitting power over long distances.

4. What are the applications of high voltage unipolar sine waves?

High voltage unipolar sine waves are commonly used in power transmission and distribution systems, as well as in industrial equipment such as motors and generators. They are also used in medical equipment, such as X-ray machines, and in scientific research for experiments involving high voltage electricity.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with high voltage unipolar sine waves?

Working with high voltage unipolar sine waves can be dangerous and should only be done by trained professionals. Safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and using insulated tools, should always be taken. It is also important to follow proper procedures for handling and testing high voltage equipment to avoid electric shock or other accidents.